Traffic display on Skyview from PowerFlarm

Doug1

I love flying!
Hi all
Can anyone tell me how well traffic from PowerFlarm is displayed on the Skyview PFD and map?
I would think that ADSB and Flarm traffic is displayed as the appropiate icon, showing relative height and direction.
But what about traffic from a mode C transponder that has no direction information?
How is this displayed on Skyview.
It is important to me that ADSB, Flarm and transponder only traffic is displayed in a meaningful way and annunciated via the skyview audio out.
Doug

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Traffic without directionality is not shown, However, if there is a traffic alert from the device, we'll annunciate that.

Doug1

I love flying!
Thanks Dynon Official

Apparently a traffic alert on powerflarm from an aircraft with only a mode C transponder will still show approximate distance and relative altitude, but not azimuth. I would assume this information is sent out the garmin tis interface.
But on skyview this type of target would only annuciate "traffic" and therefore the relative altitude and distance to target would not be displayed and therefore that important information would be lost?
Doug

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So on the TIS protocol, some devices will take the mode C targets and turn them into a moving target that moves in a quick circle - kind of making a radar-like sweeping ring around the aircraft. If it's sent that way, then SkyView will show that target. I believe the TRX1500 did this at one point, but I'm not sure how their outputs and software may have evolved over time.

Doug1

I love flying!
Hi Dynon Official

With a bit more research, I believe the Flarm protocol is more suited to use in outputting traffic information from PowerFlarm to a Skyview screen.
It certainly provides a lot more info and the traffic info, azimuth in particular is a lot more accurate.
I believe Skyview already supports a version of the Flarm protocol?

Version 7 of the Flarm protocol added the ability to output non-directional targets such as a mode C transponder in the $PFLAU sentence.
The non-directional nature of the target is unambiguous in the sentence.
I understand the display issue for non-directional targets on both the PFD and MAP screens, but I would suggest and enhancement similar in logic to when a target is behind the aircraft and only the word "TRAFFIC" is displayed on the PFD with no traffic icons

If a non-directional target is present in the $PFLAU sentence along with distance and altitude info, I would modify the word TRAFFIC on the PFD and MAP screens to include distance and altitude info. For example, for a non-direction target 4miles distant at +300ft, I would display "TRAFFIC 4m +3". Note that only one non-direction target needs to be handled, only the nearest one is output.
Target icons would only be shown for targets containing azimuth information, same logic as now.
The Flarm protocol also contains the notion of 3 threat levels based on time to collision. It would be icing on the cake to annunciate these individually and/or display these on the screen (maybe a color change) if not done already

The argument behind choosing PowerFlarm is not because of a gliding application. It covers both Flarm, ADSB and Mode C targets without the priority issue that skyview has for multiple target type interfaces. The importance of Mode C targets is that fitment of ADSB is not mandated for GA aircraft, but a lot of GA aircraft do have transponders fitted. It is less useful in a busy circuit but could be a life saver whilst cross country.

Doug