traffic does not show on display

Brent Dana

Yes, happening all the time, on my way into phx. Traffic at 1:00, 5 miles, then gone. When leaving, approach said they had me on their screen, no information about me tho. Then, poof i showed up

Brent Dana

So, thx dynon. I went out and found that my garmin gns430 was not set up as one of the serial ports, once i did that low and behold, i now have traffic working. Thanks for the help in the other articles.

RandomSquawk

I came here looking for reasons why all traffic on my HDX (fed by a 472) repeatedly disappeared & reappeared the other day. In a busy space, traffic status was flipping back and forth between "ADSB-OK" and "TIS-OK", about every 2 minutes. Not a great time to have ADSB flake out. TIS shows nothing at all that I can recall; worse than useless. V15.4.

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
This is a known problem with an open ticket with Dynon. This issue was introduced with introduction of the 472 ADSB module. The 472 device is made by Uavionix and the issue is in the Uavionix's software. Dynon has not given any date on a fix to this critical issue that has been in-effect for over 5 years. Many of us use alternate ADSB in devices in order to get reliable traffic. This particular bug (targets disappearing) happens most in high traffic areas, where you need it the most. It's hard to understand how Dynon has let this critical safety issue go this long unresolved.

RandomSquawk

...has been in-effect for over 5 years. Many of us use alternate ADSB in devices in order to get reliable traffic. ...
I understand that alternate ADSB-IN devices can feed an iPad, but is there any way to feed the HDX with traffic/weather other than the 472?

skysailor

Sadly, Dynon does not allow the units to utilize the industry standard GDL 90 protocol for traffic and weather. It seems only Dynon and Garmin require proprietary protocols. When Dynon was having trouble during their move from the single band ADSB 471 to the current dual band 472 they considered allowing GDL 90. Unfortunately for us, they mostly solved the ADSB 472 problems so they never enabled GDL 90 on the Skyview system. I have suggested allowing users the ability to purchase a license to use the GDL 90 protocol (which I could get from my Uavionics Echo UAT) instead of having to purchase and install the ADSB 472 box but have been unable to convince them.

swatson999

critical safety issue
In no way am I arguing that this should not be resolved (although, TBH, I've not seen any instances of this and I fly in the SoCal area), but...

How did something we didn't have in aviation for over a century suddenly become a "critical safety" item? In VFR, your Mark I eyeballs still work, and in IFR, ATC guarantees separation.

ADS-B traffic is *great*, don't get me wrong, and I love having it, but I can fly just as easily without it.

jmurtagh13

I love flying!
In no way am I arguing that this should not be resolved (although, TBH, I've not seen any instances of this and I fly in the SoCal area), but...

How did something we didn't have in aviation for over a century suddenly become a "critical safety" item? In VFR, your Mark I eyeballs still work, and in IFR, ATC guarantees separation.

ADS-B traffic is *great*, don't get me wrong, and I love having it, but I can fly just as easily without it.
I fly with-in the ATL vail, it is extremely busy. During summer time it is also very hazy due to the smog here. Where I fly there is no question that Good reliable ADSB traffic significantly reduces workload and enhances safety. Having a system that gives bad information is more dangerous than not having that system at all. ATC does not guarantee separation, they do their best and that is their goal. My son is a controller in JAX center he has told be that TCAS has saved many a plane, we don't have TCAS.

swatson999

I fly with-in the ATL vail, it is extremely busy. During summer time it is also very hazy due to the smog here. Where I fly there is no question that Good reliable ADSB traffic significantly reduces workload and enhances safety. Having a system that gives bad information is more dangerous than not having that system at all. ATC does not guarantee separation, they do their best and that is their goal. My son is a controller in JAX center he has told be that TCAS has saved many a plane, we don't have TCAS.
I didn't say ATC guaranteed separation *for VFR aircraft*. They provide separation between *IFR* aircraft, that's all. Even if IFR, if you're in VMC, you're supposed to see and avoid. (I should have written "in IMC" in my previous post, I'll admit).

And yeah, ADS-B is a *fantastic* new capability. I love having it, and wouldn't want to fly without it...but I *CAN*, because until it came around just a few years ago, that's, you know, how we flew around. I'm no luddite, and I'd want Dynon to get any problems with it fixed ASAP, but we don't need to act like the aircraft is grounded due to "safety-critical" items not being available if the ADS-B isn't working quite right.

Mikeinphoenix

Sadly, Dynon does not allow the units to utilize the industry standard GDL 90 protocol for traffic and weather. It seems only Dynon and Garmin require proprietary protocols. When Dynon was having trouble during their move from the single band ADSB 471 to the current dual band 472 they considered allowing GDL 90. Unfortunately for us, they mostly solved the ADSB 472 problems so they never enabled GDL 90 on the Skyview system. I have suggested allowing users the ability to purchase a license to use the GDL 90 protocol (which I could get from my Uavionics Echo UAT) instead of having to purchase and install the ADSB 472 box but have been unable to convince them.
I’m in the planning process for a complete avionics upgrade and have been leaning towards a Dynon HDX IFR Package. But when I see issues like having to have multiple ADSB (I already have the Echo UAT installed), it causes some concern about using Dynon for the upgrade.

skysailor

I’m in the planning process for a complete avionics upgrade and have been leaning towards a Dynon HDX IFR Package. But when I see issues like having to have multiple ADSB (I already have the Echo UAT installed), it causes some concern about using Dynon for the upgrade.
Mike,

I have the same setup you are planning. Since you already have the Echo UAT, you have a way to display the traffic/weather separate from the Dynon ADSB 472. I do not think you can do better than Dynon for your IFR, autopilot, flight director, engine monitor etc. setup. I chose to put a GRT Mini as a backup EFIS since it provides full PFD and map/flight plan backup. My GRT takes the ADSB traffic/weather from the Echo on a serial port which gives me redundancy here as well. The traffic on the GRT coming from the Echo is never a problem even if the Dyon ADSB 472 drops it. Message me if you have questions or would like to see pictures of the two working together.

Tracy

I love flying!
I came here looking for reasons why all traffic on my HDX (fed by a 472) repeatedly disappeared & reappeared the other day. In a busy space, traffic status was flipping back and forth between "ADSB-OK" and "TIS-OK", about every 2 minutes. Not a great time to have ADSB flake out. TIS shows nothing at all that I can recall; worse than useless. V15

Tracy

I love flying!
I came here looking for reasons why all traffic on my HDX (fed by a 472) repeatedly disappeared & reappeared the other day. In a busy space, traffic status was flipping back and forth between "ADSB-OK" and "TIS-OK", about every 2 minutes. Not a great time to have ADSB flake out. TIS shows nothing at all that I can recall; worse than useless. V15.4.
the same thing has been happening to me. ADSB-ok, everything is good. Goes to TIS nothing. My buddy flying next to me said to turn off the transponder to "cylcle" it and I did but crazy thing is when I turn off the transponder I have traffic?? Turn it back on and I have traffic for a bit then back to TIS. Stupid me put the radio and transponder on the same switch so I can't keep it off lol.

jffreyt

I have been experiencing this issue for months now. Any update Dynon?

yadmas

I love flying!
I am also experiencing the same issue. I am on the latest firmware and ASB targets on the map will randomly disappear including aircraft less than 2nm and within 1000ft away whilst continuing to display targets further out. The strange thing is that the targets remain constantly present on foreflight which is connected and recieving the traffic from the skyview. Seems like an issue with skyview software and not with the adsb module? Grateful for your assistance dynon as this is quite a significant issue especially with aircraft disappearing and reappearing in such close proximity.

RV8JD

I am also experiencing the same issue. I am on the latest firmware and ASB targets on the map will randomly disappear including aircraft less than 2nm and within 1000ft away whilst continuing to display targets further out. The strange thing is that the targets remain constantly present on foreflight which is connected and recieving the traffic from the skyview. Seems like an issue with skyview software and not with the adsb module? Grateful for your assistance dynon as this is quite a significant issue especially with aircraft disappearing and reappearing in such close proximity.
A fellow on VAF had a similar issue. Here is his problem:

"I have a dual-Skyview system in my 3B. I’m not sure that my Dynon ADSB is working properly. On taxi out I can see all the ADSB traffic, but once airborne almost all targets disappear - even ones that are in my close proximity.
I’m still learning this system (as I don’t fly regularly enough !), but it doesn’t seem to be displaying targets.
Looking for others who may have experienced this and what the solution might be?
Cheers"

And Dynon's response to him:

"Dynon support got back to me, and he suggested turning of TIS TRAFFIC in the Skyview transponder setting.
It worked! I did this and now I am seeing all the traffic displays. He said this is a frequent issue in busy class B areas…"

djones

Administrator
Staff member
We have been working on this for a while now, in fact there is a software update coming with version 16.5 software that does help some.
I have recently had a couple living under Bravo airspace in particular having this problem, in both cases I had them go to the transponder setup menu and turn off TIS traffic from the transponder, both said it worked great after that. Try it, if it fixes yours, let me know as it will give me something to go to engineering with. Let me know via email to support@dynonavionics.com

gacoon

I love flying!
We have been working on this for a while now, in fact there is a software update coming with version 16.5 software that does help some.
I have recently had a couple living under Bravo airspace in particular having this problem, in both cases I had them go to the transponder setup menu and turn off TIS traffic from the transponder, both said it worked great after that. Try it, if it fixes yours, let me know as it will give me something to go to engineering with. Let me know via email to support@dynonavionics.com
That worked for us, apparently TIS has priority over ADSB traffic. At startup on the ground we could see all the traffic around the airport, shortly after take off it would change to TIS and traffic would disappear. This was in the Seattle area. turning of the TIS solved the problem.

Scottmaitland

Turning off TIS traffic worked for me as well. I have done two flights since I made the change and traffic on Skyview matched traffic on my CFI's foreflight perfectly.