TRAFFIC FAIL message on map

skyboy999

I love flying!
Just connected a PilotAware via serial port 3. I've tried configuring as "Flarm Traffic" and "Garmin TIS traffic". PAW set to Dynon and both matching 9600 baud.
Both SV settings show "Traffic Fail" message on map although RX counting up quite rapidly. "Flarm traffic" setting also gives a "Flarm offline" caution message so I think I should be using the "Garmin TIS" but what does the "TRAFFIC FAIL" message on map mean and how do I resolve?
Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Traffic Fail means that the configured device isn't being seen by SkyView. In this case, it's not because it's failed, but beause it isn't speaking a language that SkyView understands: It looks like PilotAware outputs a protocol of their own design, and doesn't look to support the output of either TIS format or FLARM format data. If that's the case, SkyView will not be able to display traffic from it. Incidentally, you can get an idea of whether or not a particular device is talking the protocol that SkyView is set to in the serial port setup. You should see the RX counter continually increment, but, additionally, you'll see the good sentences counter increment too. Again, this is only for protocols that SkyView understands, and only when the baud rate and format are set to match on both devices.

skyboy999

I love flying!
Now have some more information:
RX counter: continuously increments and quite rapidly
Sentence errors: 0
Good sentences: 0
Group errors: increments slowly

SV is configured to serial3 as 'Garmin TIS Traffic' and PAW as 'Traffic Dynon' which seems to be in line with what others are successfully using. I'm using RX, TX and ground wires.

I suspect the 'group errors' means something but not sufficiently savvy to know what. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
This aligns with what we said in our previous post: we're getting data, but it's not the TIS traffic protocol. From what we can tell from the PilotAware documentation, it doesn't look to output data in SkyView-compatible format, unfortunately.

skyboy999

I love flying!
Appreciate what you are saying but other SV users have successfully connected PAW so I don't think there is anything wrong with the protocol but maybe how I have connected. Perhaps an RS232 guru could offer some advice?

BobD

I love flying!
Just bumped this thread to see if there is any additional information.

I am just in the process of snagging my new aircraft, and have a similar problem to the OP. My Skyview is connected to PilotAware via the RS232 connection, and on original startup, traffic shows as expected. However, after a few minutes, the Traffic Fail message appears. My PilotAware is connected to my android phone, and that appears to be still operational in flight (although I can't swear it has "seen" other traffic in the short flights I have made, but the aircraft icon doesn't disappear).

I haven't looked at the RX or sentence counter yet (as suggested in Reply #1), and will do do next time I visit the airfield, but just wondered if anyone else had experienced a similar problem, or if the OP found a solution ?