Traffic position update between Rx's

bbtapb

Given the ADS-B traffic info has a timestamp and velocity vector, can SkyView please update the traffic's position accordingly?

Presumably it's a 3D vector, but even 2D would be helpful.

On the edges of reception, it might be 10-20 seconds between updates.
::) :eek:

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
That would be very bad because it would be guessing. It displays the directional vectors of the traffic which are what you use to help avoid traffic, but it should never guess current position because that would be misleading.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We are actually planning on adding some "coasting" between updates to help smooth things out between updates. As cgameprogrammer notes, though, if you make that period too long you'll get into the misleading zone. But having traffic targets that are still there disappear isn't ideal either, and you'll sometimes see that today. We're looking at what the right balance here is.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
Perhaps you can keep the icons at the last reported position but project the directional arrows outward so the arrow tip represents the aircraft's estimated current position? That way the reported position is clearly differentiated from its estimated position.

gerry.vandyk

If I'm not mistaken the length of the line denotes the speed the target is moving. Perhaps a little 'pip' along the line to denote projected position?

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
I actually did not know that about the arrow length. Makes sense. I agree with your suggestion then, a little same-colored (orange) pip moving along the arrow at the aircraft's expected current position makes sense.

rogersmart

That is the way IFLY GPS does it, very easily recognized when the position is estimated when the arrow does not move but the target does. Also clearly shows where the last verified position was.