Trafic infromation displayed

acepilot59

I need help in understanding the traffic information that is displayed on SkyView. ( A great topic for a forum at Oshkosh)
There are times when I do not see traffic on SkyView but I know they are there, there transponder is on, they have no ADS-B out, I am within range of and ADS-B ground transmitter and I see other similar traffic. My map screen displays ADS-B OK. My software has been upgraded so that my transponder sends out a SIL=1. Can anyone explain this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Are they within 15NM and 3,500' vertically? Traffic outside that area is filtered out on purpose to minimize clutter. This is not a SkyView thing, it's the way ADS-B was designed.

Also, are they in radar coverage? If you're up at 3,000 feet and they're down on the deck, radar might see you fine but not them.

The FAA has good data on all of this on both the following website and the AIM:

https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/ins_and_outs/

acepilot59

The traffic was within 15NM and 3,500' vertically and the traffic was at 5,500' MSL but still did not show up. Any ideas why this would be?

airguy

The traffic was within 15NM and 3,500' vertically and the traffic was at 5,500' MSL but still did not show up.  Any ideas why this would be?

What was the location? I know where I operate it's not uncommon for me to be at 4500 (2000 agl) before I can be identified on radar. Is it possible the traffic was out of radar coverage there?

shenweas

I love flying!
I may not know what I am talking about so take this with a grain of salt...... :eek:

I question whether all radar sites have the upload capabilites to send "radar traffic" to ads-b.

In my local area, when Columbus class C is open (usually weekdays with varying hours) I have radar service through them which covers in my area down to less than 1000 ft AGL.

When Columbus is closed the airspace is controlled by Memphis Center which covers down to ~3000-4000ft AGL.

Even when Columbus is open the ADS-B traffic usually disappears from my screen when desending through 3000-4000 ft so this makes me think Columbus is not uploading there radar traffic to ADS-B.....just my observations.

I would assume as time goes by some of the local radar sites may be added but on the other hand if the plan is for ADS-B to replace radar.....???