training simulator

clarinet

I love flying!
It would be great to have an training simulator like Garmin has for the 500 an 430 series it improves the learning curve enormously .

purlee

I love flying!
Look, I am guessing here, and I would really like a simulator too, but I am betting that for them, keeping a simulator program up to date, with all the upgrades Dynon keep bringing out, would be a real bear!

It is not going to be exactly the same software, they might have very minimal crossover, so someone is going to have to pay for it. Since that is not going to come from sales of the simulator, or nobody will use it, guess where it will come from!

We all complain about Garmin pricing, that's one of the costs it covers, do we really want a $10,000 7 inch Skyview?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Eric W does a great job of capturing the issues that have kept us from creating and maintaining a simulator to date. That said, training is a high priority for us. We continue run on-site and airshow hands-on courses as well as post training videos to The Dynon Channel.

ckurz7000

I love flying!
How about writing a wrappe/emulatorr program that makes it possible to use firmware code under Windows? That way you wouldn't need to maintain it ba coding each change in parallel on Windows. Just install the new firmware in your sim as you would in your Efis.

-- Chris.

jaybee

I love flying!
My local club has just bought a new aircraft with your skyview system installed.

As a club aircraft, I have no opportunity to hook up a battery charger and spend time in the hanger learning how to use the system.  Living in Australia, your onsite and airshow training sessions are a little far away to attend.

I understand the problems in making a simulator. but could you not video some of your your training sessions and post them online.  I've viewed the videos on the dynon channel and they're good, but I'm sure a full capture of your half day training sessions would be very useful.

trevpond

Hi Guys,

I'll second JayBee's request.

It is difficult to learn something as complex as a Skyview System, or any other EFIS if you come from a steam gauge
aircraft.

best regards

Trev ;D ;D

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We'd definitely love to get videos up of the training sessions. We don't have them ready to go yet, though.

Steve_N

Another vote for a simulator/emulator.   There must be a software based test emulator Dynon use for development.

Couldn't it or a subset of it be offered to customers? I used a MGL EMS in a previous aircraft and it had an emulator. The MGL EFIS emulators are complex to set up properly but once this is done they are useful. I don't think MGL wrote them just for customer use. They must use them for testing.

I'm not suggesting an 'easy to use' or polished turn key installation package like the Garmin Simulators, just something to play with to stay current and perhaps design a few EMS layouts without screwing up my aircraft's config.

Steve
D1000

ckurz7000

I love flying!
Once again, a simulator/emulator for the SV that runs under Windows (or iOS, Android, Mac, whatever) would be a great benefit.

I know you are doing a great job of producing training videos but the problem is that it is difficult to view videos while sitting in the aircraft and running your battery dry on the ground. The OEM I contract with LOVED the sim that comes with the MGL line of EFIS. There are other reasons why the decision went to the Dynon (and I am very happy with this!). But a sim makes training so much easier. We used to hold customer classes with people sitting in front of their PCs running the MGL sim. I used to demonstrate via beamer and everybody simply followed along. In a couple of hours we could train 5-10 people with confidence.

This is not possible with Dynon. Watching a video is about 10% as efficient as doing things yourself.

So, if I can weigh in once more, a simulator/emulator would be a BIG help! If wrote an emulator which emulates the operating system of the SV hardware you wouldn't have to re-write it everytime you issue updates for the SV. The new SV software would simple work the same in the emulator as it does in the real hardware. At least, that's how MGL does it.

-- Chris.

cigogne

I love flying!
Agree, simulator/emulator would be a very precious help.
We have a C172 with a G1000 installed in my air club. We used the G1000 trainer to give training classes and hands on, demonstrate features (e.g. approaches etc.), problems  simulation (forcing LRUs offline) and more.
This saved lots of time (and money) in training/coaching the newbies.
One more year or so and my home build aircraft will be pleased to be equipped with the latest state of the art Dynon Skyview.... I wish I could learn and train myself (and indeed dream) before its first flight!!!
Lionel.

Gisnar

I love flying!
Another vote for a simulator on windows or OS. There is just not a another good way to get proficient.
I sure do not want to do a lot of searching or experimentation in the air.
Also, like Kurt's new class video, more please. I always pick a new thing or two viewing it.

waveflyer

After buying an aircraft with two Skyview screens I was amazed and very disappointed to find that there was no online sim.
I would have expected better from Dynon.
It's a great safety feature, better to have your head down at home than when flying.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
While we don't have have a simulator at this point, we have quite a bit of online training over at The Dynon Channel on YouTube.

The "SkyView System - 'How To' Feature Training" playlist is the 4+ hour class that we give in person, and the other playlists have various smaller bite-size explanations of various other features.

waveflyer

I think you are doing the product and its many users a great disservice by not having an online sim.

The Skyview is more far more complex than the G1000 which was fitted in my previous aircraft and I know from my experience that your training videos are no substitute to the sim.

I believe in your product (I recently changed to new touch screens) but would urge you to urgently act to provide a sim which would be a another huge benefit to aviation, please.

Steve_N

I agree with Waveflyer. The (welcome) progressive capability additions in Skyview are increasing the likelihood of heads in time rather than  looking out of the window.

Slickness comes with interface familiarity best obtained when nothing can hit you. Only a small subset can be practiced in the hanger and believe me I have tried!

The V14 addition of checklists was I suggest less useful than a simulator. I would have preferred that effort had been directed to this.

Steve

D1000

waveflyer

Steve
Thanks for bringing this subject back to the surface. I have been using DYNON twin 10" screens for just over a year now and still spend far to much time trying to work out the path to what I am looking for when I am flying.
I have seen some of the videos and they are pretty basic to say the least. A sim would be the total answer to what we are seeking.
DYNON - I am a great supporter of the product, I've even upgraded to touch screens. I hope this thread brings more requests for a sim but really cannot understand why you are not taking the initiative and providing it as a great benefit for safe aviation.

hedley

Dynon have the setup . They use it in their training classes so all the discussion about the cost and resources is off point. Why can dynon not document and price the setup as used in their training class and be done with it . They must have a utility running on a lc that talks to the skyview which sends sensor data like airspeed , pitch , roll and yaw and then heading and altitude . Not much more should be needed

carlp101

Smoke me a kipper. I'll be back for breakfast!
MGL manage to produce a 10" EFIS for under £3000 and they provide a simulator. Surely Dynon ought to be able to do the same without any additional cost to the far-more-expensive SkyView system.

Come-on Dynon. MGL are showing you up!