Transponder Fail..........

BillHobbs

I love flying!
The top row transponder block in Skyview is X’d out and the caution message says “Transponder Fail”. This is a new panel in my wife’s RV-7 (35 hours on new panel). The problem started when the transponder would no longer IDENT. ATC could receive the active code, but pressing IDENT had no effect. I went into setup and saw that there was yellow line indicating that the transponder software was not updated. I selected “Load File” and it updated for some time (the update viewed on the opposite screen). I came back to the aircraft in about 10 minutes and noted that it said that the update was successful. Since then, the transponder is blocked out and the transponder status line in setup says, “Not Known”. I have re-run the latest updates on both screens, but the transponder remains unresponsive. It has power and nothing is loose. Has anyone had a similar experience? Any solutions short of replacement?

BillHobbs

I love flying!
Update:
The transponder is going back to have the software restored. The thinking is that the software somehow got corrupted as happens if it looses power during a software update.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Bill,
Per the original issue, had the plane had a transponder test before? When you pressed ident, did the screen show IDT at the top?

BillHobbs

I love flying!
Yes. The transponder was working for the first 35 hours of flight on the new panel. A tower or ATC had acknowledged IDENT on at least 3 prior occasions when I was flying the airplane, maybe more.

woodmanrog

I love flying!
Bill, we had the same issue with our xpnder after 10 hours of it working. After checking all connections and wiring, we sent the unit back to Dynon for a look-see. Did you get your issue resolved? If so, what was the answer?
Roger