Transponder Setting at Startup

DONK

I love flying!
Don't know if this is a new question but if you look at this FAA pub - http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/aviation_industry/airline_operators/airline_safety/safo/all_safos/media/2015/safo15006.pdf
it says transponders should be in ALT mode for all ground operations at all airports, quote "To proactively address these problems, aircraft operating on all airport movement areas at all airports, not just those that are ASDE-X equipped, must have their transponders on in the altitude reporting mode."

So, should Dynon program the transponder on startup to go ALT rather than GND?

dutchroll

It's based on the Trig transponder and if it's anything like the Garmin version which also has a "GND" mode (don't see why it wouldn't be), then it would comply with the guidance of the FAA SAFO and respond to selective Mode S interrogations in GND mode. I imagine Trig/Dynon would be able to confirm that their transponder behaves similarly in this mode.

Garmin are due to release a software update this year (if it hasn't been released already) which will remove the "GND" mode all together so it will be interesting to see what Trig and Dynon do.

There are many transponders which don't have a "GND" mode and just go from standby straight to "ON" or "ALT" so I'm guessing the FAA have tried to draft the SAFO in a "one size fits all" fashion to ensure those transponders have a mode selected which will respond to selective Mode S interrogations on the ground.