Transponder sqawk code menu/shortcut?

Downunder

I love flying!
What about short cut code menu.
A customisable "name" and connected code in a menu list.
Even an "emergency" button that instantly transmitts the asigned code.

CGameProgrammer

I love flying!
Seems like a useless idea. ATC assigns you a squawk code so you use whatever they tell you. And not only will you probably never use an emergency code, but they should not be too easy to enter, to avoid accidental entry.

mmarien

Murray M.
Not all that useless. I had to look up the code for no radio on the internet when my radio quit last year. How often does that happen? Well twice for me. My friends radio quit the other day on downwind but then I remembered the code. I added the emergency squawk codes to my checklists. Almost as convenient as a short cut but without the fear of accidentally entering it.

Downunder

I love flying!
Plenty fly vfr and squark 1200 all day, everyday....( in my country anyway)

Accidental use is easy to overcome, like needing to push the actvation button 3 times to engage.

What would be worse, in a high stress, single pilot emergency, is to not remember the code ( mind blank) or actually put in an inncorrect code......

airguy

What would be worse, in a high stress, single pilot emergency, is to not remember the code ( mind blank) or actually put in an inncorrect code......

In that case, screw the squawk and fly the airplane. That's ALWAYS priority number 1. Key the radio, declare an emergency, and let them adjust to what you do. That's the way it's supposed to work.

W

William_Ince

In that case, screw the squawk and fly the airplane. That's ALWAYS priority number 1. Key the radio, declare an emergency, and let them adjust to what you do. That's the way it's supposed to work.
BINGO!

mmarien

Murray M.
Key the radio, declare an emergency, and let them adjust to what you do. That's the way it's supposed to work.
In my case keying the radio didn't work for me.

Put a label on the panel next to the xponder with 7600 and 7700. Leave out 7500. They might figure it out if it's too obvious.