Trim indication - EMS220

hstaton

I have opted not to re-wire my trim wires and keep them controlled by the VPX. My quandary is how to get the trim position to show on the EMS screen. The VPX manual states that Skyview will receive the trim position through the serial data stream. How? Also, I don't like the trim indicator - I don't have aileron trim, so I would like to remove the arc above the linear indicator, but can't find out how. Thanks in advance!

mmarien

Murray M.
Have a look at page 13-3 and 13-4 VP-X Settings of the Skyview installation manual. The trim has to be set to VP-X but you still need to do the calibration. I use mine for a cowl flap position and it doesn't show the aileron part of it. See lower right corner. Cowl flap is up.

trim.png

hstaton

I knew it had to be something simple like that - something I had just missed. Thanks! I'll change the display widget later.

jdubner

... See lower right corner...
I really like the smaller size your CHT/EGT display so it allows room for another gauge.  Can you tell me how you achieved it?  Is it a function of VP-X (which I don't have)?  I tried changing mine on the 20% EMS page but couldn't select anything smaller than full-width.  Thanks.

mmarien

Murray M.
There is a bit of documentation here about hand editing the EMS gauges:

CUSTOMIZING THE EMS GAUGES

A quick way to change the EGT/CHT gauge is to export your settings and look for a file with a .dfg extension. You can open it with a text editor. Windows WordPad works. Search for a section called "Layout_20={". That is the 20% Engine layout. Scroll down until you fine the following code:

Code:
            EGT_CHT_WIDGET={
                  type=WIDGET_EGT_CHT
                  x_offset=0.5
                  y_offset=0.5
                  width=35
                  height=27
                  params=3
                  params=2
                  params=0
                  }

Change the "width" to something smaller than what is there. Default width is 43. The first "params=" is the thickness of the bars and the second  "params=" is the distance between the bars. I changed mine to make the height of the gauge less than the default also.

Make the changes and save the file. Take it back to Skyview on the thumb drive and use Load files to load it back into Skyview with the changes.

You can use the regular Skyview editing functions to move the gauge around, but if you change the style or size it will loose the settings you changed by hand.

HTH

jdubner

Looks like you put a lot of effort into that document, Murray.  Wow, what a lot of possibilities it opens up.  Thanks for sharing it. 

And thanks too for the example on the EGT_CHT widget.  I copied it verbatim and it's perfect for my screen, allowing me to add a trim indicator alongside it.

mmarien

Murray M.
No problem. Glad it worked for you.  :)

I think one of the nice features Skyview has over the other brands is the ability to tweak the Engine page. And add sensors.