Trim indicator not working

rgmwa

I love flying!
I'm just finishing up my RV-12. Calibrated the autopilot servos as per the manual and that worked fine. However, the trim indicator on the SV panel is grayed out, as is the Trim calibration menu option in the Setup>Hardware Calibration>EMS  Calibration menu. The RV-12 uses a Ray Allen servo for the anti-servo tab on the stabilator. Skyview is apparently not seeing the trim setting. The trim switch on the panel works OK so the servo is getting power, but I assume that means that one or more of the remaining servo wires has a fault - possibly at one of the crimped on connectors? Any advice or suggestions?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The system does not need the wires hooked up to allow you to calibrate. It doesn't really have a way to know they are or aren't connected.

You have a configuration error somewhere. As far as I remember, there's no way for the display to gray out. Can you describe further what you mean: " the trim indicator on the SV panel is grayed out"?

rgmwa

I love flying!
The vertical trim indicator bar in the bottom right corner of the display is gray, not colored like the other EMS widgets. Maybe it's meant to be gray? I wanted to set the take-off trim position and assumed I would have to calibrate the trim potentiometer as per the instructions on page 7-53. This says to use SETUP MENU>HARDWARE CALIBRATION>EMS CALIBRATION. However when I do, the trim calibration item on that menu can't be selected. If I toggle down the screen, it just skips over that menu item. Maybe I've misunderstood, and need to configure the trim bar some other way? I'm running Ver 11.1 downloaded from Van's website.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So under EMS CALIBRATION you're looking for ELEV CALIBRATION. But that won't show up if the pin mapping for elevator trim isn't setup under EMS SETUP > SENSOR INPUT MAPPING...

So I'd first make sure that nothing's going on there. As for the color - the trim widget is indeed less colorful than other widgets, but you'll get a smidge of green color (a horizontal line) at your takeoff position if you set that up during cal.

rgmwa

I love flying!
OK, thanks. I'll check those items next time I'm down at the hangar and see what happens.

rgmwa

I love flying!
OK, found the ELEV CALIBRATION menu OK. Ran the calibration for FULL DOWN trim, which was showing 4.81-4.86 volts while running and settled at 5.0v when full down was reached. Pressed the set button. Then ran to FULL UP when asked, however this time there was no change in the voltage readout, and when SET was pushed I got this message: "Warning - sensor value did not change".
I checked the Pin mapping and found that ELEV is mapped to pin C37 P23. The debug line for this reads: C37 P23 ELEV POSITION 293 0.3577 1.000. Not sure if this helps but I have no idea why the UP TRIM sensor setting is not changing. Checked the connections at the Ray Allen servo, and all seems OK. Any suggestions?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Basically, depending on how a trim sensor is wired, we expect to see:
"close to" 5V on full deflection in one direction, and
"close to" 0V on full deflection in the OTHER direction.

That doesn't seem to be happening with your particular sensor - the full range of voltage isn't actually reaching Pin 23 of the 37-pin connector on the SV-EMS-220. Perhaps the Ray Allen servo's sensor isn't quite wired correctly - see the chart, Figure 45, on Page 7-54 of the SkyView System Installation Guide.

OK, found the ELEV CALIBRATION menu OK. Ran the calibration for FULL DOWN trim, which was showing 4.81-4.86 volts while running and settled at 5.0v when full down was reached. Pressed the set button. Then ran to FULL UP when asked, however this time there was no change in the voltage readout, and when SET was pushed I got this message: "Warning - sensor value did not change".
I checked the Pin mapping and found that ELEV is mapped to pin C37 P23. The debug line for this reads: C37 P23 ELEV POSITION 293 0.3577 1.000. Not sure if this helps but I have no idea why the UP TRIM sensor setting is not changing. Checked the connections at the Ray Allen servo, and all seems OK. Any suggestions?

rgmwa

I love flying!
OK, sounds like I should measure the voltage at the white/green servo signal wire throughout the trim range, to see what's getting though to Pin 23. I'll try that today.

rgmwa

I love flying!
Problem solved. Checked the signal wire voltage at the servo and replaced the spade connectors. Everything now works as advertised. Obviously just a bad crimp. Thanks for your help in tracking down the problem.