Trim Indicators

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Currently our software does not support this, but the hardware does. To do this with our hardware, you would need to run all three wires from your trim sensor to the EMS system, so you may want to consider that if you are currently wiring an aircraft.

We can add this in a future software revision if there is enough interest.

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I would like to see this feature added as well. I would also like to see the system automatically move to this page if it detects the trim position changing. Then after about 5 seconds of no trim change have it go back to the page you were on prior to the trim change.

OZRV

Having Flap, Elevator trim, and Aileron trim indicators would be a great enhancement.

Thomas_Schaad

This would indeed make up a big enhancement. We all do need trim- and flaps annunciators. Having this on the EMS is another step towards the full glas cockpit.

Regards
Thomas ;)

13brv3

Add my vote for trim indicators, but I'd need to know in the next month or so if this is going to happen, since I'll be cutting the panel. I'd love to leave off the trim indicators, and wouldn't even mind living without them for some time, as long as I knew that the D180 would eventually be able to display this.

Thanks,
Rusty

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

I've already wired my Flaps, Ailron and Elevator trims to the GP1, 2 and 3 inputs. Now all I need is a software load that will allow be to use them. I have refused to install the ugly looking trim indicators that come with the Allen Trim motors.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What voltage source did you use for the trim potentiometers? If you used 12V, this could damage the EMS.

Your trim servos have three wires- ground, power, and signal. It's important to not hook the power side to anything above 5V, since the GP inputs on the EMS can't handle more than 5V. Just checking!

We do hope to have firmware for you in the future that will work. For now, if you really wanted to, you could define two of those inputs as fuel levels and they will move with the trim.

13brv3

Thanks for the helpful, and timely info. I'll just hook the aileron and elevator trim to the D180, and plan to use that instead of the clunky indicators that came with the trim servos.

Cheers,
Rusty

R

Ray Doerr(Guest)

Thanks. And yes I did use +5v dc. I made my own flap/trim controller board which also has a A/D converter so it can detect the exact position of the Flaps and Trims, so I just joined this input with the GP1 - 3 on the EMS. I will change my GP1 and GP2 to a fuel input and see if it changes when I adjust my trim.

dksington

Bringing this to the top. Is there likely to be a specific ability to display Trim and Flap postion in the near future?

Many thanks,

Derek Sington.

Harkfly

Flap Indication

Just got my EMS D-120 and know you are still working on the firmware. I am planning on doing the following, can you tell me if this is going to work. Building a RV-7A. For flap indication I will take a Ray Allen or similiar position sensor and drop 5 volts across it from the D-120 +5v pin.
The output signal will go to a GP input. I am assuming that as I run the flaps through positions I can mark them on the D-120 display. say every 10 degrees of flaps. Can you tell me if this will work?

Thanks much

Don Harker

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Derek,

We're beta testing flap and trim indicators right now along with a lot of other things like GPS input for range and MPG. These should be out this month as a free software update.

Don,

The way you have planned to wire it up is exactly right. Both the flaps and trim are calibrated for your airplane. You can mark up to 5 positions on the flap indicator, and the trim indicators have takeoff markers.

Harkfly

Great!. Thanks for the quick update. Have not hooked anything up yet, will do as your note suggests

Don Harker

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Whoops. Nevermind. A beta tester tried the no +5V connection method and it didn't work. We did some more research and see why.

You'll need to hook up the +5V for the trim to work.