Trim Sensors

rlallen1

I love flying!
I have manual trim, can I add the ray allen position sensor on my trim and have it shown on the skyview. I plan to do this for the flaps too, but was not sure about the manual trim. thanks

DennisW

Jake,

I have the Ray Allen elevator trim on my system, but the display only shows part of the elevator trim travel. So far, I have not been able to get it to show full trim travel. Have you seen this before? If so, what could I be doing wrong?

Thanks,

jakej

So, although it travels the full length you are seeing only part of that, correct ?

If so then you could try to re solder/repair the indicator (these are delicate units IMO & losing segments of Leds is common), just needs a steady hand ;)

Jake J

jakej

Dennis

I've just seen your panel on another topic & there isn't an Ray Allen indicator shown so I guess you are displaying via the SV?

There could be a few reasons why you are not seeing full travel but I'd do this first ie disconnect the trim linkage and 'calibrate' the trim by physically moving the Ray Allen potentiometer to both ends of its limits. If it then works you have 1 of 3 issues - 1. not calibrated properly, trim linkage geometry incorrect or fauly potentiometer.

Jake J

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So there's a good chance that the sensor is railing out at either 0 or 5 somewhere before the surface is actually done moving. To investigate that futher, you can go back into the calibration menu, and without doing a calibration, you can watch the sensor voltage at the top right of the display. You can use that to start investigating what the sensor is actually outputting as you move the trim.

DennisW

I'll try some of these ideas and see what happens. I suspect a re-calibration may be necessary. I did not actually set this up myself. The Lightning dealer set this up before I flew her home. He was not sure how to fix it either.