Trip from KTFP - KBHB - KTFP

aguiraf

Just completed a vacation trip from KTFP, T.P. McCampbell Airport in Texas to Pittsburgh, Niagara Fallas, Bar Harbor, ME, Philadelphia, Virginia and back to Texas (4200 miles). I have just completed the installation of the ADS-B receiver the week prior to the trip and I would like to thank Dynon for this nice system. Ninety per cent of the flight was IFR and the availability of weather made  flight decision making  easier.  The next addition will be replacing the GTX327 with the Dynon transponder. 

Attached is a picture of weather information in the cockpit.

2013-07-22+18.03.37.jpg

2013-07-21+10.27.24.jpg

Best regardas,
Gus

DonFromTX

I love flying!
Thanks for sharing. I see you don't have a push pull radio either, that and the Dynon Xponder seem to be especially good items.

DonFromTX

I love flying!
I have been trying to figure out how you tell terrain from weather since they both seem to use the same colors?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We offer the option to see only WX or only terrain (see the WX+Terrian button at the bottom), so if there is an question, you can turn one off and be sure.

The combined mode does work pretty well though, and it isn't hard to see which is which, since there is some transparency and other hints. As you can see in that top picture, it's clear that is weather data, not terrain. In general though, you tend to avoid the red, no matter why it's red.

aguiraf

Like Dynon says, you have a choice to show WX and/or/both WX/Terrain. Under WX/Terrain I am able to tell the difference. On the second picture, the red is the TFR around Washington DC. I had no problem going through the red portion due to being under IFR flight plan. This is a really a great system, it is worth every bit. :)

DonFromTX

I love flying!
I need more clues.  Obviously at 8000 feet over Montgomery AL there are no hills to hit, but what are the clues that it is weather?