Troubleshooting SL30/HS34 problem

Ken_Harrill

I just finished a panel upgrade resulting in an SL-30, HS34, and D-100. It is very nice. My compliments to Dynon.

The only problem I have encountered is a NAV flag on the HSI when tuned to a VOR. The HSI works great when the SL-30 is tuned to a localizer or when using the GPS. The SL-30 is receiving the VOR signal, but the HSI is not. Everything else seems normal.

I haven't disassembled my cabin yet to crawl under the panel (RV6) so I am contemplating my plan for toubleshooting the problem. My best theory is that the HS34 Tx serial connection to the SL-30 Rx is faulty. The localizer works fine, so the other serial connection must be OK. Also, the subject serial connection is not shielded, could this be a problem?

Suggestions?

Ken

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The only thing that goes over the HS34 TX to SL-30 RX line is the OBS setting. If this line isn't there (or even if it is), you should be able to set the OBS with the OBS knob on the SL-30. As you do this, the OBS on the HSI display should change.

The easiest thing to check with an SL-30 is if the currently tuned frequency is showing up on the HSI page. If it is, the RX connection from the SL-30 is fine, and something else is up. Not sure what that would be. What exactly is the problem that you are seeing?

Ken_Harrill

Thanks for the prompt response.

The problem is when the SL30 is tuned to a VOR, the HSI is flagged and there is no indication on the CDI needle. When tuned to a localizer everything works as it should. I haven't tried the GS yet.

The SL30 installation manual states: "If serial OBS data is not received at a minimum of 1Hz rate, the NAV unit will flag." This statement is the reason I thought it might be the HS34 Tx to SL30 Rx connection.

I am over my head here, so any suggestions are appreciated.

Ken

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You should not set the SL-30 OBS source to "Serial." Set it to "none." We only send out the OBS when it changes, not once per second. The SL-30 allows this when set to "none," which is admittedly a bad description of what it is doing.

This is probably your problem, since the SL-30 flags the source as bad if it doesn't get the update once per second when set to serial.

Ken_Harrill

Problem solved! Setting the SL30 to "none" for the indicator type fixed the problem. I had the SL30 setup for a "serial" connection to the HS34. That made sense to me. I must have missed something in the manuals.

It works beautifully now.

Thanks again for the excellent support.

Ken Harrill