Tru Trak bracket for centre section roll servo mount in RV8. Any concerns?

Rocky_W

Hello

I bought an RV8 that was already built and found that the Dynon roll servo was connected using a tru-trak center section mounting kit, rather than the servo being mounted in the wing, as per Dynon's roll servo installation manual.

I have attached a photo showing the set-up.

Does anyone have any concerns with this set-up? I know that TruTrak uses this as an approved set-up for their roll servos.

Thanks

Roger

IMG_0980.jpg

Rocky_W

Agreed! No intention to move it, but the rules in Europe are a bit different in that you can't apply mods without them being scrutinised...

Bill Putney

The rules are kinda the same in the U.S.A. Here, if you make a change that would be considered a major alteration to a Certificated type, in an Experimental type, the FAA wants you to have a FSDO maintenance inspector review the change to decide if your limitations should changed. In experimental here there really aren't any type design requirements. If you built it the way Dynon or Van's says, the Inspectors don't think much about it because doing things that way hasn't caused a problem.

In your particular case, you can either assume that the review was done (and look to see if it's noted in the maintenance log) or call your agency and describe what you've got over the phone to an Inspector. Tell them they are standard Tru-Trak brackets installed per the Tru-Trak documents. Describe any tests you've made to assure that, for instance the servo can't over center. The Inspector may give you a verbal approval or ask to see the installation. If they say OK, I'd log it and call it good. You can probably get them to send you a letter affirming that they've approved the change and that your limitations haven't changed.

TheFrisco

Hello

I bought an RV8 that was already built and found that the Dynon roll servo was connected using a tru-trak center section mounting kit, rather than the servo being mounted in the wing, as per Dynon's roll servo installation manual.

I have attached a photo showing the set-up.

Does anyone have any concerns with this set-up? I know that TruTrak uses this as an approved set-up for their roll servos.

Thanks

Roger

View attachment 3656

I like it but where I can buy it for my RV4? TruTrak doesn't exist anymore and all searches lead to nothing :-(

Suggestions?