TSO-C146A GPS (WAAS)

jeffa

They'd be much better off teaming up with someone who already has a quality WAAS GPS receiver available.....like Freeflight Systems with their 1201 (which some people are already using as their ADS-B OUT position source  ;))

Dynon already did this type of thing for their transponder (teaming up with Trig). Why not simply make the Freeflight 1201 and the Skyview able to talk to each other? I know I make it sound like it'll only take a few keystrokes of a savvy software designer....I realize it's more complicated than that. But, the technology and high quality units are already out there, just make them work together (again making it sound very simple, sorry).

At half the price of other companies WAAS receivers, the 1201 seems like a seriously viable option for Dynon to make their Skyview system truly standalone.

We can continue to hope.....

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Just using a certified GPS position sensor does not make SkyView a C146 certified navigator. To be C146, all your databases, software, and hardware needs to be certified, not just the position solution. We already will happily use the position from a certified GPS over serial or ARINC, but that doesn't mean SkyView's internal mapping software can be used for primary IFR navigation. If all it took was writing a serial parser for the FreeFlight data format, we would have done that already!

We have a statement written on this:
http://dynonavionics.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1362597418/0

As of right now, doing a fully TSO'd C146 GPS is not on our project list. If anyone wants to read the 800+ pages of the MOPS and let us know what the easy way to do that might be, feel free to give us a call!

ronE

Is a C146 certified navigator required to make the ADSB 2020 compliant or does it just need a certified WAAS GPS? I'm not talking a C146 certified navigator for IFR but for VFR with your ADSB receiver.

Carl_Froehlich

Just to make my point clear, many are hoping Dynon will jump in and produce an alternative to the certified for GPS en-route and approach, but grossly overpriced (initial cost and update subscription) Garmin offerings.

Shoot fire - start with updated versions of the superb UPS SL-30 NAV/COM and GX-60 GPS/COM that Garmin dumped after buying out this competitor to make more money. Integrate them into the SkyView like you did with the SV-COM-C25 and people will be knocking down your door to get them.

Carl

RussB

I do not plan to have a high end WAAS GPS in my VFR plane, but I do need the GPS to drive the Skyview 261 transponder to meet the ADS-B out. A small hockey puck is really needed to fill that role.

Russ

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So there is a lot of number jumbling going on, which is to be expected. We were responding to the title of this thread, which asks about a C146 device, which is a full, certified GPS navigator, like a Garmin 430 or 650.

Quick overview:

C129: An Enrote and Terminal certified navigator. Has a screen, databases, software, etc, all of which is certified. This is what a Garmin 430 was before it was a Garmin 430W.

C146: Adds Approach capability to C129. Many people think of this as "WAAS," but in reality, WAAS is not required, just a certain level of performance. It's just easiest to get that performance with WAAS. The fact that a GPS can use WAAS doesn't make it certified, since pretty much every $3 GPS chip in every phone does WAAS nowadays.

C145: This is *just* a GPS position sensor. It only outputs position and velocity. No screen, databases, etc. Another certified device could use this position sensor to do something more useful, like ADS-B out, or a FMS.

By 2020 all US aircraft that fly in ADS-B rule airspace will need a C145 GPS (or a C146 or C196 that has the outputs required). Nobody "needs" a C146 unless they want to use the GPS for IFR primary navigation.

Dynon would love to have a good, affordable solution for ADS-B by 2020. We've got a few years to solve that, so we have no news now, but it is a pretty clear market for us to be interested in. A fully certified C146 GPS is also interesting, but that is a tremendous project.

GalinHdz

C145: This is *just* a GPS position sensor. It only outputs position and velocity. No screen, databases, etc. Another certified device could use this position sensor to do something more useful, like ADS-B out, or a FMS.

---------------------------------

OK then how about an "upgraded" Skyview GPS "puck" that is C145 compliant? The "other" certified device using the data would be your Transponder.

:cool:

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Dynon would love to have a good, affordable solution for ADS-B by 2020. We've got a few years to solve that, so we have no news now, but it is a pretty clear market for us to be interested in.