Tumbling Horizon

n3722r

I upgraded my EFIS to version 5 2 weeks ago and on the second flight I attempted after the installation the EFIS went crazy on power on. It tumbled numerous times and then stopped upside down and in shades of grey. I rebooted the EFIS and everything was fine. Then on the flight immediatly following that the EFIS tumbled when I was just initiating my takeoff. I aborted and rebooted. It was fine for that flight.

Is there an issue with some EFIS units running version 5 that cause this? My EFIS was one of the units converted from a D-10 to a D-10A a couple years back.

Dave

DBRV10

Concerns me that V 5 has had a few posts like this........is there some bugs you are working on? I would like to know. The last 730 hours of D10 were faultless.

Now a twin Dynon system and IFR........I start to want to know for sure what is happening.

DB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The Dynon EFIS systems have a group of standalone processors for ADAHRS processing that are 100% independent of the main display processor. We did not change the code in this processors from version 4 to 5, so we do not believe any of these issues have anything to do with the 5.0 upgrade, but we are monitoring it.

Dirk

This from my thead, if you missed it:
-------------------------------------------
Today the EFIS D10A came back from repair and I was eager to install it. At first I threw the backup battery in, powered it up, and all was fine, correct stable altitude, no tumbling horizon, just ok. I installed it in my RV, powerde it up, and: Tumbling horizon, altimeter 80 feet off, just as before. Damn...thought about returning it immediately, but then I unplugged the connector, started it with the internal battery, and:bingo, everything fine...? Scratch head, should it be my wiring, causing this?? I opened up the connector, but everything was fine there. I pulled the fuse for keep alive power for that and somehow forgot to engage it after closing the connector, powered up and all was fine. Should it be the keep alive? After a dozend trials it's obvious: without keepalive-power connected, it's all fine, as soon as the keepalive is connected, the EFIS goes mad. I have the internal backup battery, so there is no need for keep-alive, if the RV is flown frequently, so I just disconnected the wire and after 2 hours of flying there are no problems. Before I upgraded to D10A, there was no problem like this, so I would suggest to all with tumbling horizon and altimeter problems the following: Disconnect the keep-alive current and look, if it's all in the green. And to the Dynon guys: It seems to be a problem with keep alive power in connection with those problems after upgrading to Version 5.
Cheers, Dirk

DBRV10

I trust you Dynon........but this is now interesting, the Keep Alive wire again!!

I am not using it but it is weird how that is having an effect, but strange things can happen!

Any ideas? I am just curious more than anything.

DB :)

boehmda

I upgraded in January to 5.0. All the flights were normal, no troubles on the D-10A. After doing some calibration last week and changes at the checklist I upgraded to 5.2 and did a backup.
Yesterday I did my first flight after the changes and had the same situation as Dave described.

As I booted the system the horizon was to see in the top left corner with a roll indication of 30°. After some time it was in the right position (pitch,roll), but the turn indicator was on the maximum. During taxi/run-up/line-up no change. As I started it started to tumble as crazy. I rebooted and everything was fine.

I had that behavior on all three flights I did yesterday. There is a change for sure.

Daniel

DBRV10

Do you use the Keep Alive power wire in your harness? I can not see how thats related but it has caused others some troubles and it seems there could be a bug, but whether its related to the KA wire who knows.

DB :)

boehmda

Yes, I have connected the keep alive power wire.

I will try it without keep alive connected to power next Saturday.

Daniel

boehmda

Today I did 4 flights and everything was ok. Proper booting, keep alive still connected, no strange behavior. --perfect, but strange--

Daniel