Two axes, two autopilots?

melkel2000

The news of the Dynon AP came out after I installed my Trio single axis AP. I'm thinking of adding altitude hold via my Dynon D-180. Is this something that is OK to do...have one axis controlled by one AP and the other by the Dynon?

Also, would it be as simple as adding a servo and upgrading the firmware? Wouldn't there be a harness change or at least additional wires added to the harness I have as well?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Having the two systems control separately should work fine, but obviously you'll have two different interfaces to turn them on and off. You may need two disconnect switches as well- we may not be able to be wired in parallel with Trio's disconnect.

We do need wiring to run from the EFIS to the Servo. They're not wireless ;)

Your harness should already have blue and green DSAB wires, and those are the wires you run out to the servo. You then also need to give the servo power and ground, and run a disconnect wire up to your stick or panel.

melkel2000

Ah yes, the disconnect. I would think that I could put both the Trio and the Dynon disconnect on the same button. I assume the Dynon disconnects by momentarily grounding the wire right?

Is there an on-line AP manual available yet for the AP function?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We expect a pull to ground on the wire too, but there's always a slight chance we'd interfere with one another. It's impossible to detect a wire going to ground without putting some power into that wire, and now us and Trio will be powering the same wire.

The AP is not yet shipping so we don't have a manual for it yet.

PRose

While talking about Trio and Dynon AP, will the roll servo be able to use an existing Trio mount?  I know you said they would exchange with TT but what about the Trio?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The diodes work in theory, but not in the reality of our system. Real diodes have a 0.4 to 0.7V drop across them, and this will mess us up for sure.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
While talking about Trio and Dynon AP, will the roll servo be able to use an existing Trio mount? I know you said they would exchange with TT but what about the Trio?

When we say we're compatible with TT mounting locations, what we're saying is that our bolt pattern dimensions are the same, and that our overall servo dimensions are really similar (but not exact). So they will literally drop into a TT bracket when they're installed. The Trio servos are similarly sized, but the attachment is totally different. I don't think (but am not certain) that they sell installation kits, so you're going to have to do custom fabrication if you were going to install a Trio anyway.

PRose

Re: Mounts

While Trio themselves do not make mounts, SafeAir1 does. That is why I was asking.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ah - gotcha. Basically, the answer is that they're not compatible, unfortunately.

Etienne

The diodes work in theory, but not in the reality of our system. Real diodes have a 0.4 to 0.7V drop across them, and this will mess us up for sure.

I'd suggest testing with a Schottky diode (+-0.2V), or use a double pole switch - with one going to each of the AP's. This would keep them independent of each other when the switch was not engaged, and bring them both to ground at the same time...