Two D180s bussed as master/slave on the same machine?

Dalon

Hello,
My present config is a D180 with remote compass, OAT sensor and AP74. The D180 is also connected to an AvMap EKPV GPS. Eveything is on the pilot's side of the machine.

I am planning to install on the right side either a new D10A or a used D180.

My prefered option would be to install the used D180 without any new sensors and to connect it on the DSAB bus as a slave to the current one but I am not sure this config is OK.

Would the slave D180 display EMS-type (engine) information collected from the master?

Thank you in advance

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
It's all in the manuals.

You can only have one EMS in an installation. If you had two D180s and it worked at all I would imagine the one without sensors would just report 'no sensors' error messages.

The D180 + D10A is a valid configuration, but surely if you have room for a second D180 just put a D100 there instead.

If you are the same bod as asking the same question on VAF I guess it's because the second D180 is available used! Acquire it, sell it, and buy a second-hand D100, or even a new one.

Dalon

Thanks Rob. I have asked the same question to different people and obtained different answers. And regarding the manual, I must admit it can be a bit confusing at times, at least for me.
Thanks for the tip regarding the D100. I had also thought of it but the problem is they seem to be hard to find on the used market (I am in Paris, France). I had located a used D180 but have found no used D100 so far...
Thanks again for your help.
Bruno (Dalon)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
To confirm - if you have 2 EMSes in the same system, they'll both use their own internal EMS capability.

Dalon

From Rob's message and the message from the gentleman on the Dynon Staff, I understand that :

a) 2 EMSes CAN be on the same system (as illustrated in the drawing on page 4-12 of the Flightdeck 180 installation guide REV H, which shows a D180 AND an EMS D10 or D120 on the same bus),

but that

b) EMS data cannot be shared on the DSAB bus, so each EMS device must obtain its data from its own sensors.

At this stage, as I haven't been able to find a used D100, the only device I can connect to my D180 is either :

A) a D10A

or - maybe

B) the used D180 I was considering buying, assuming I could configure the "slave" D180 with no physical EMS inputs without generating "no sensors" error messages.

I know that configuration B) would not be a very cost-effective replacement for a D100, but am I correct in assuming it would work?

Thanks in advance, Bruno

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
B) should work as describe after you suppress its EMS warnings via the 2nd D180's settings, but it isn't an officially supported configuration (Ie, there are things that we haven't thought of that might prove to be annoying)

Dalon

In fact, I found the question of dual D180s had been asked and answered long ago...in 2011 (shame on me) : https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/dual-d180s-possible.3279/

As I finally decided to add a D10A to my D180/AP74/OAT/remote compass config, I now wonder if, after connecting the D10A to the DSAB bus, I must go through the whole setup again, including AP servo calibration, servo test etc... or if I only need to re-do the DSAB network configuration.

Thanks in advance, Bruno