txInterogate Emag ignitions

Frankh

You can do this via a Gnd, TX,RX connection and a laptop currently...So with just 6 extra connections (hah!) you could use the EMS to provide all the data that is is in 2 Emag ignitions and even adjust the timing in flight (although liability would argue you would not want to allow this while flying).

Now that would be cool..Simply flip to a page to show ignition timing, internal temperature, etc and be able to fine tune without a laptop.

Frank

carey.mills

I concur with the previous writer. I would imagine that you are number one in your market and E-Mag is number one in their market. Allow your system to integrate with the E-Mag’s to provide the pilot with overall better situation awareness to the health and performance of his engine. The serial output provides firing angle, RPM, buss voltage (used to determine if the ignition is on back-up power), firmware version; furthermore, you can set RPM limit, change the advance shift, and store preferred settings. I don’t necessary agree on the ability to control the timing while airborne, but at least provide the pilot with some of the indications.
Carey Mills
US Army Experimental Test Pilot
RV7 240hrs

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Didn't know that was outputted. We've added to the barrel of features to discuss/prioritize/eventually maybe get to. No promises, but a few of us around here have devices that show all of this stuff on our cars and help us get the most boost out of our turbo'd engines, so we get it :)

carey.mills

Check out the link below. This user developed an interface with the E-mag. The cost is too high for what it provides; especially knowing that with a future software upgrade the D120 can do the same thing.
Carey

http://www.eicommander.com/eic.htm

RV6ARoger

I concur. I run P-Mags, and having ignition timing would be of benefit. Thanks for considering this.

PhantomPholly

Lightspeed offers similar functionality, and arguably has a larger user base. LightSpeed outputs Manifold Pressure output (0.01v / inch mp); timing advance (0.01v/deg) in addition to digital tach output (older units output only 5v signal and require returning to Klaus for an upgrade to make it +10v pulse for Dynon to be able to use it). A simple 10k Ohm potentiometer can be set up to control spark advance.

mmarien

Murray M.
Is this on the development list? or discussed yet? I realize that there are lots of more exciting stuff in development, but we probably don't need full interactive functionality here. Just a display of the firing angle and temperature would be nice. Modifying the P-MAG settings from SV isn't a priority. I can always connect a computer for that.

I can see a simple serial port function (similar to whats already there for reading the xponder or NMEA data) that reads and filters the data and outputs it on a special pin designation for the EMS display: mag_RPM, mag_FireAng, mag_TEMP, etc. We could then assign a widget to the pin same as we do for the normal pins (C37_p1, C25_p2/14, etc). I suppose some of the info like mag_MAX_TEMP or mag_VER would be more suited to INFO fields rather than widgets. The bonus is that the other electronic ignitions probably output similar data. Picking the EI device at the serial port would dictate what special pins are available or just limit it to a common subset.

I also can see you are going to need more serial ports. SVGPS-250, xponder, COMM, VP-X, P-MAG, etc. or a network/serial converter? serial port expander? serial to USB converter? or just more network capable devices rather than serial? Will the COMM be a network device?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It is on the big list of things to consider as a feature in the future, but so far hasn't made it to the short list.

cperry

I'm going to 2nd that comment above regarding rs-232 comm's...5 ports seemed like lots to begin with, but with GPS, Xpndr, ELT, Radio, 2nd GPS, VPX, Traffic monitor...even pairing what I can off the same outputs, I've got to drop something and live with reduced functionality. Its a good thing I dropped the TruTrak and changed to the Dynon A/P...

Ok back to reality, no other aircraft I've flown before had two GPS inputs, ELT location, GPS driven radio updates, electronic electrical system monitoring, and traffic monitoring...at least not all between the same pair of wingtips.

;)

mmarien

Murray M.
It is on the big list of things to consider as a feature in the future, but so far hasn't made it to the short list.

When it does come up, Brad Dement from E-MAG Ignitions said "Our EICAD data stream is available to all the instrument manufacturers – free of charge."

stewarth

I love flying!
Hi all, any development on this subject? Would love to be able to monitor the temperature on our DK180. We know we have a cooling problem (borderline).