Unintelligible data recieved message at update

P_Reid

When I try to update the DEK180 I get a message that say's unintelligible data recieved. I have tried 2 different laptop's and still get the same message when I connect and try to find the version that the DEK180 has.

thanks

Peter

PS note this has been corrected as I did remember the message correctly

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: Incomprehensible data message at update

Does the "detect firmware version option" report successfully? Or does that yield the same results?

P_Reid

Thats the result when I try to use the detect firmware version option.

When I try to connect it says that it has found the instrument, then when I try the detect firmware option, it comes up with the message, then tries to look in the other ports.

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

Are you using a USB-serial converter? If so, ensure that you plug in the usb end, and wait a few seconds for it to initialize, before you plug in the Dynon end.

You could also try a different usb-serial converter (different ones are available at places like compusa, best buy, radio shack, etc).

If there are any other programs running that use a serial port (such as a palm sync client), make sure it is shut down.

There's a chance that there is something wrong with the unit as well. If you aren't able to resolve the issue, give us a call at 425-402-0433 and ask for technical support and we can arrange to have your unit back to check it out.

P_Reid

I checked again yesterday. I made a mistake the message I get is "unitelligible data recieved".
Still no luck in getting it to work.

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

The final thing to do would be to verify that all 3 wires that should end up at the 9 pin serial connector are pinned out correctly. You can find the pin out in your EFIS installation guide.

Beyond that, if you still don't have any luck on your end, we can have your FlightDEK-D180 and EDC-D10A back here for evaluation. We can do an update on it while it's back here too.

Give us a call at 425-402-0433 or an RMA number should you hit a dead end with the wiring.

P_Reid

I've checked all the wiring and it all seems ok. Still no luck

So I went to a friend who also has a DEK 180 and removed his unit and replaced it with mine and then used his lap top to update it and this worked ok. Interestingly through we tried the EMS plug to see if we could get engine data etc but got the unintelligible message again. We tried his DEK180 and the same thing happened.
So still really non the wiser.

Peter

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
On a FlightDEK-D180, the 9 pin plug that's hooked up to the 25 pin harness is the ONLY one that can be used with operations that involve the support program, including both updating the unit and to downloading logged EMS data. The only thing that you can use the EMS plug for on a FlightDEK-D180 is real time streaming of the EMS data to a laptop, which most people won't do now that the FlightDEK-D180 (and other EMSs) can log internally.

P_Reid

I finally solved this problem. It turns out there was a fault in the wiring as supplied.
The wire that goes from pin 22 to the 9 pin serial connector has a second branch. This connection was faultly.

Peter