Upgrade Skyview Touch to HDX?

doychinov

Hello,
I would like to know your opinion on selling my Skyview Touch and D700 and buy HDX.
I know I will receive a better design but can you tell me what else?
I have TL 3000 Sirius and I updated one D700 for Skyview Touch and seems very nice for now but I just wanted to ask someone who updated to HDX to share experience.
Regards,
Plamen

TouchTheSky

I love flying!
I updated my SkyView Touch to HDX and never regretted: brighter screen, engine monitoring always visible, better user interface.

airguy

I replaced my 10" Classics with HDX in my RV, it was a simple change out and no regrets. I really like the new form factor on the HDX with the finger "anchor-points" around the edges for work in turbulence.

lancair360

I have 7" classics and cannot fit 10" screens. My concern with upgrading to the HDX is the loss of screen space to the EMS always visible at the bottom. Thoughts?

Rhino

I have 7" classics and cannot fit 10" screens. My concern with upgrading to the HDX is the loss of screen space to the EMS always visible at the bottom. Thoughts?
The EMS is only visible if you want it to be. You don't even have the option to display engine data if the EMS module isn't installed. Check section 3 of the user manual.

BlueCH750

Low and Slow
Is there a panel adaptor of some sort required to fit and secure the HDX 800 into a SV-D700 panel cutout? I am also considering doing the change out to the HDX 800 from my current dual SV-D700 setup. Thanks!

Rhino

You shouldn't need one. There's less than a tenth of an inch difference between their dimensions. The HDX800 is 7.64" W x 5.59" H x 3.13" D, and the D700 is 7.64" W x 5.51" H x 2.14" D. Since the HDX is slightly larger, the only alteration you might need is to slightly enlarge the opening, so no adapter should be necessary even in that case.

BlueCH750

Low and Slow
You shouldn't need one. There's less than a tenth of an inch difference between their dimensions. The HDX800 is 7.64" W x 5.59" H x 3.13" D, and the D700 is 7.64" W x 5.51" H x 2.14" D. Since the HDX is slightly larger, the only alteration you might need is to slightly enlarge the opening, so no adapter should be necessary even in that case.
Looking at the spec sheet for cutouts they appear to be the same - 6.97 x 5.35 with there being a difference in mounting screw locations. Same width apart but with a 3" vertical spacing on the 800 versus 4" vertical spacing on the 700. Even looks lke the 800 top mount locations will align with the existing cutout an nutplates I have for the 700

Pilotkms

I love flying!
I just received my 10” and 7” HDX displays to replace my Skyview Touch displays from the recent upgrade offer by Dynon. Reviewed the Installation Guide for Skyview and did not see any specific instructions for making the change. Wondering if anyone that has done this swap, Touch replaced by HDX, can point me to wherever or whatever guidance may be available.

RV8JD

I just received my 10” and 7” HDX displays to replace my Skyview Touch displays from the recent upgrade offer by Dynon. Reviewed the Installation Guide for Skyview and did not see any specific instructions for making the change. Wondering if anyone that has done this swap, Touch replaced by HDX, can point me to wherever or whatever guidance may be available.
This Dynon article, "Installing SkyView HDX After Trade-Up", explains all:

Also this panel cover plate for filling the small gap below the HDX when upgrading from a D1000 display to an HDX may come in handy, but I believe it is included with the new 10" HDX display:

Last edited:

Pilotkms

I love flying!
Found it! In case others are looking for it:
at the Dynon main screen, theres a Trade Up box. Click it and go to the bottom, FAQs. 3rd question provides backup & download info for Skyview to HDX.

and thanx RV8JD

RV8JD

Found it! In case others are looking for it:
at the Dynon main screen, theres a Trade Up box. Click it and go to the bottom, FAQs. 3rd question provides backup & download info for Skyview to HDX.

and thanx RV8JD
That's the same link I posted in my post above yours (Post #11). It is linked in a few locations on the Trade-Up Offer webpage.

kurtfly

I love flying!
One thing not mentioned is you will have to re-enter the WiFi password if installed. I just swapped my D1000T for the HDX and it went very smoothly. It took me about 8 hours to make the change.

soarhead

Just took advantage of the trade up offer and installed a 10” HDX. Everything from the old unit copied over to the new exactly as described in the instructions except for the USB data input wired into the D37. For some reason, the HDX doesn’t see it. Anybody else run into the same issue?

Just found the answer in another thread. No more USB on the D37.

Last edited:

dbuds2

Just took advantage of the trade up offer and installed a 10” HDX. Everything from the old unit copied over to the new exactly as described in the instructions except for the USB data input wired into the D37. For some reason, the HDX doesn’t see it. Anybody else run into the same issue?

Just found the answer in another thread. No more USB on the D37.
Just installed and pretty easy. The old USB on the d37 harness does not see the usb dongle. What kind of extension are you adding? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCA9XEI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2XR5Y4PPMJPL8&psc=1

Pilotkms

I love flying!
Been flying with the HDX 10 + 7 for 2 weeks now. Definitely like the engine info at the bottom.
One thing about installing from Touch, i have VPX. It requires a code to be entered to bring it up on the menu screen. Is it the same code from when i purchased VPX? Dont know, that was 10 years ago. luckily i installed on a weekday. Called Dynon and they provided a code in minutes And able to complete installation.

jakej

FYI - the code is specific to the serial number of the 'display' that you advised Dynon. If the display is changed (upgrade or replacement) then, as you did, they will issue a new code for that display . ;)

custom555

Been flying with the HDX 10 + 7 for 2 weeks now. Definitely like the engine info at the bottom.
One thing about installing from Touch, i have VPX. It requires a code to be entered to bring it up on the menu screen. Is it the same code from when i purchased VPX? Dont know, that was 10 years ago. luckily i installed on a weekday. Called Dynon and they provided a code in minutes And able to complete installation.
I also have a VPX and couldn't setup volts, amps, trim display and flap display on my upgraded HDX EMS display until getting the new code from Dynon. In my case, all that data came through the VPX. After installing the new code into the HDX, everything worked, except I had to re-calibrate the flaps.