Uploading new flight plan while AP actively flying a plan?

RandomSquawk

Chair flying, cuz the weather sucks...
What happens if the AP is in active mode "GPS+ALT", nothing is armed, and I upload a new flight plan from ForeFlight?

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
What I'd expect to happen is that SkyView's flight plan will instantly change. The autopilot might see that as a momentary disruption to the GPS flight plan, which may or may not cause it to fall down to TRK+ALT mode (if that happened, it would be annunciated both on-screen and via audio alerting)

RandomSquawk

What I'd expect to happen is that SkyView's flight plan will instantly change. The autopilot might see that as a momentary disruption to the GPS flight plan, which may or may not cause it to fall down to TRK+ALT mode (if that happened, it would be annunciated both on-screen and via audio alerting)
I finally tried it out. Once the AP was tracking the uploaded plan, I inserted a dogleg in the current leg via foreflight and re-uploaded. HDX immediate voiced "flight plan updated" and rolled to close the gap on the new course. I tried it a couple times, with increasing XTRK errors up to 2 miles. I did not attempt to mess with the departure, destination, or non-current legs. I'm sort of wishing I had, just for testing completeness.

Marc_J._Zeitlin

I finally tried it out. Once the AP was tracking the uploaded plan, I inserted a dogleg in the current leg via foreflight and re-uploaded. HDX immediate voiced "flight plan updated" and rolled to close the gap on the new course. I tried it a couple times, with increasing XTRK errors up to 2 miles. I did not attempt to mess with the departure, destination, or non-current legs. I'm sort of wishing I had, just for testing completeness.
Did you end up in Schenectady?