USB Ports

RussB

I am about to cut the final instrument panel for my Skyview installation. The SV has three USB ports. Any reason to put more than one port on the panel? It appears to me that there is never a time multiple USB sticks are used.

Thanks

Russ :)

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Only one USB stick plugged in at a time per screen is supported, though there are 3 USB ports on each, and you can use any of them for the purpose.

PlaneDan

I love flying!
I already cut my panel to install a "thru" connector to the USB cable.  I had ordered what I thought was a type A receptacle on the front and type A plug on the back, but when it came, it was a receptacle on both sides.  Is there a part number that can be ordered that will satisfy this criteria.  I have spent a month looking for this and now may have to modify my new panel because what I got was not the right part.  Needless to say, I am totally frustrated with this.  I think this should at least be documented somewhere.

aerofurb

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are after but it worked for us:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Panel-Mount-USB-Cable/dp/B002M8RVKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375561379&sr=8-1&keywords=StarTech.com+1+ft+Panel+Mount+USB+Cable+A+to+A+-+F%2FM%22

Note this is Amazon UK.

PlaneDan

I love flying!
I guess that I am too picky. I did not want a cable coming out the back.

Here is what I have found and installed:

ECF504B-UAA CPLR PNL MNT USB A/A BLK This unit is black in color and is USB A Female to USB A Female. Thus I used a "gender changer" on the back.

UAD014MM ADPT, USB A-M/A-M These came from L-Com in Boston, MA.

I have suggested to them that they make a unit that will accomplish this in one piece and they were receptive. If I find that they have done this, I will reply to this post. :D

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I think what you wanted to order was this:

http://www.l-com.com/usb-usb-adapter-a-b-black

Which you can plug a standard full size USB cable into, and then plug the other end right into a port on the back of SkyView.

jnmeade

Are the USB ports used for anything besides updates? For example, would a USB connection be how one obtained data logging information?
I'm thinking that one per screen might be useful in that case, and I might put one for each screen right on the panel so I could access the data readily.

mmarien

Murray M.
Are the USB ports used for anything besides updates?
Everything in and out of Skyview is by USB.
  • firmware updates
  • aviation and obstacle database uploads
  • log file downloads
  • screen shots (buttons 2 and 7)
  • flight plans
  • waypoints
  • etc.