USB-serial installation

carl_nank

I have read forum comments but have not found the answer to my problem.

I cannot find any zip files on the disc that came with the cable. I see multiple pictures, images & music files. I also found a file labled "open file to view files" that looked like it might be the one but I found nothing that looked like it would contain a zip file. I also went to the website (FTDI web site) and found a file that looked like it might be promising but no joy.

I need to know what file you found on the disc that had a zip file to load the USB-Serial port program. Can anyone help me? I have spent many hours on this problem. Usually these type of files load a wizard process but I could not get one.

Carl Nank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you're running Vista: Just plug it in while you have an internet connection, and tell it to look for drivers. It will find the driver itself. It can take 1-2 minutes. The drivers on the CD will not work under Vista.

If you are running XP/2000: Plug the USB-serial in. It will ask you where to look for drivers. Tell it to look on CD's and removable devices. It should find the driver on the CD. There is no installer on the CD- just driver files, but XP knows how to look for these if you let it.

carl_nank

This program is not very user friendly. I know Dynon does not make this, but I need help.

When I insert the disk, a message comes on the screen saying " This disk or device contains more than one kind of content. What do you want windows to do".

There is a folder that says " Open folder to view files using windows explorer". When I do that it opens up multiple files. Do I pick one of these??? If so which one??? Need help. None seems intuitive.

Carl Nank

josok

Carl,
Exactly as you say, these usb-serial adapters and their drivers are not made by Dynon. Installing drivers is basic Windows stuff. Drivers are not programs. There are several scenarios to do the job, depending on what the adapter manufacturer deemed usefull. Usually there is some instruction on the package on how to install the drivers. It could be that you have to run a program called setup from the driver disk, which could be out of sight in a folder called "2000" or "XP" or "Viista" before you stick the USB end in. It could be that after you push the USB end in Windows searches for drivers and installs them from the disk.
Otherwise, ask the wizz-kid from the neighbourhood :)

Regards,

Jos okhuijsen

carl_nank

Thanks Josh,

Nothing is either on the package or in the package that proides any hint of how to install the driver. I have tried all the normal things that I know of to try to install it. Spent many hours trying to make it work.

If someone has the disc, I would appreciate it if they could insert it into their computer and let me know the step by step process to install the driver.

Thanks,

Carl

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
The following general procedure should produce results.

1) Start with nothing connected, nothing in the drive.
2) Insert disc in drive
3) Cancel out of the dialog that asks you what you want to do with it.
4) Connect the USB-Serial converter to the computer only.
5) When windows tells you it's found new hardware, point it to the CD.
5) From here, it should find drivers on the CD and install.

Alternatively, if that doesn't work:

1) With everything disconnected:
2) Download the driver install file from our server here : http://www.dynonavionics.com/downloads/PL-2303%20Driver%20Installer.exe (you'll need to copy/paste the link into your browser for it to work) .
3) Double click the downloaded file to install the driver.
4) After this is complete, plug in the usb end of the converter to the computer, and Windows should take care of the rest.

In either of the above cases, DO NOT connect the Dynon until Windows tells you that the "hardware is installed and ready to use".

carl_nank

Thank you dynon support, global moderator.

The first sequence you suggested hung up after I got to step 4 and plugged in the USB-Converter to the USB slot. It never went to step 5 where windows was supposed to tell me that it found the new hardware.

So I did the alternate and it was successful. I thank you so much for your help.

Thank you again.

Carl Nank

Working on instrument panel.