USB to Serial Converter Software Install Problems

Delta_Zulu

Last week I unsuccessfully attempted to upload the latest firmware version 1.06 into a Dynon D100 using the Dynon Support Program V2-4-3.

My laptop is a Dell 6000 Inspiron with Windows XP Media Edition and it does not have a serial port. When the D100 was purchased the USB to Serial Converter kit was also obtained. Downloading and installation of the Dynon Support Program into the laptop was accomplished without a hitch, but when I connected the laptop to the D100 I got a message saying that the device could not be found. :-?

It looked like the required comm port was not connecting to the USB port that I was using. I thought “Hey! No big deal! I have the converter kit software!” :D

The software did not install, so without any installation documentation provided, I was forced to do it the hard way and I located and read a readme file. I’m sure if you were a computer geek or a system administrator all would be fine. But to me it was totally useless. Being pressed for time, I could not find the required install exe files (as per the readme file), thus I gave up. :(

Back at home, with more time on my hands I searched the converter software disc for the proper files and tried to figure out how this crappy thing is supposed to install, and here is what I’ve come up with:

1) Using browse in Add/Remove Programs utility, locate and run:
D:\Driver\Hi-Speed USB Datalink & Network Cable V2.0(A)\Setup

2) In the Install Wizard, select “USB Superlink” and keep hitting the “next” option (which is what I like to do) until finish.

3) Again using the Add/Remove Programs utility, locate and run:
D:\Driver\USB TO Serial V1.1(DB-9.DB-25)\Windows\PL-2303 Driver Installer

4) Follow the installshield wizard prompts (keep hitting the next button,) until finished.

5) Connect the USB to Serial adaptor to the laptop and to the D100 Serial connector.

6) Power up the D100.

7) Start the Dynon Support Program.

8) Proceed to download/upload as required.

Please confirm that this is indeed the proper procedure to follow. If it isn’t, please provide the proper instructions for me to use.

Thank you.
DZ

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: USB to Serial Converter Software Install Probl

Sort of. You actually did a bit too much, but it shouldn't affect the end result.

The only drivers you need at all are the ones in the "USB TO Serial V1.1(DB-9.DB-25)" folder.

Additionally, while you can opt to use the Add/Remove Programs feature, you can also just browse "My Computer" and drill down to the USB to Serial converter installer. For completeness, here is a set of procedures that should work:

First, before you start, make sure that the USB-serial cable is DISCONNECTED from both the EFIS and the PC, and that the Dynon Support Program IS NOT running.

1) Insert the drivers disk in your CD-Rom drive.

2) Starting at "My Computer", browse to the "USB TO Serial V1.1(DB-9.DB-25)" folder, then to the "Windows" folder.

3) Double click "PL-2303 Driver Installer"

4) Click through the installer process (you'll click "next" once or twice, then "finish")

5) Reboot your computer if it prompts you to.

6) Plug the USB-serial cable into your computer (but NOT the EFIS). You should see a "found new hardware" message at the bottom right corner of your screen. Don't do anything - just wait. After a few seconds, you should see a "your hardware is installed and ready do use" message.

7) Now, connect the 9 pin serial end to your Dynon harness.

8) Load the Dynon Support Program, and perform a "detect firmware version" to ensure that there are bidirectional communications between the EFIS and the computer.

When you reconnect the USB-serial converter subsequently, you may not see the messages at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This is normal. However, always connect the USB end to your computer first, give it a few seconds to initialize, and then connect the serial end to your EFIS.

Delta_Zulu

Great :D

Will try it again this weekend using your procedure.

As a suggestion, maybe it would be a good idea to include such instructions for those (like myself) who order the optional converter kit.

Thank you for the quick response.

DZ

Delta_Zulu

UPDATE

Uploaded the latest firmware this weekend as per your instructions. Worked perfectly :D

Thanks for the assistance.

DZ