USB to Serial help

redmark

I have a D180 in an RV-12... it came with my avionics kits along with the USB to Serial converter. I'm trying to use a MSI Netbook with Window 7 Starter to communicate with the D180.

When I run the Dynon support program v5.4.0 to detect the firmware it looks like it's connecting ok, the D180 screen switches to the yellow warning screen but then hangs, the support program times-out, pops-up a error dialog, then I have to remove the backup battery to re-start the D180.

Are there some logfiles I can look for? Some additional parameters to change or try?

When I use my old Dell laptop /w a real Com everything works fine.

Thanks,
-Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
This sounds like the Support Program is transmitting to the D180, but no signal is coming back. Which is most likely due to a bad connection on the serial line.  So I suggest first carefully checking the continuity of the serial connections. (I understand that the Dell worked fine, but maybe some connection came loose in the meantime.)

Some people have experienced USB driver problems. The symptoms don't quite match, but another thing you could try is downloading the latest driver from our Website at http://www.dynonavionics.com/docs/support_software.html.

redmark

No joy... I connected my Dell and it worked just fine. I also downloaded the  latest USB driver but on my Windows 7 Starter system the driver fails to start... Reported by the device manager.

Are there any logging or tracing options I can enable?

-Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If your Dell still works, then the serial connection is good. People have reported a number of issues with various drivers and USB-serial converters. Our converter and the driver on our Website work with Windows 7 32-bit, but we have not tested Windows 7 Starter. And I do not know if anyone has had it working with the Windows 7 Starter.

Our best suggestion would be to mess with the Driver some more, to make sure the one from our Website is installed. Or try another USB converter (like from Radio Shack.) USB hardware and drivers are variables that we can't control very well.

Open question: has anyone else had problems with Windows 7 Starter, or made it work?

redmark

The only version of the driver I can get to load into Windows 7 Starter is the one from Prolific version 3.3.2.102 dated 9/24/2008.

Most new Netbooks have Windows 7 Starter installed by default now. At least that is all I could find.

You didn't address the logging or tracing question directly... I assume there is no tracing for the app?

Lastly, is there a hardware reset button sequence I can use to reboot the D180. It's a pain to keep unplugging the backup battery.

Thanks,
-Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you have not already done so, uninstall the driver you have installed, and install the driver from our Website. It is the only driver we have found to work consistently.

There is no communication logging function in the program.

Before you try to load a program to the D180, check to make sure that there is a message near the bottom of the application window that says "Found instrument on comm [x]". If you don't see that, then it means that it is not communicating correctly with the D180.

Unfortunately, once it is in the yellow screen, there is no way to restart the D180 without unplugging the battery. But it should not go into the yellow screen if you first check for the communication message noted above.

redmark

Yes... uninstalled and then installed the Dynon version yesterday and it fails to load into Windows 7 so I went back to the version from Prolific that would at least load into Windows.

The support program fines the converter on COM3... it attempts to connect, screen goes yellow with the warning message about reboot on firmware install then hangs.

I'll try different baud rates FIFO setting today.

Thanks,
-Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Another solution may be to run your PC in Window XP Compatibility mode.

In any case, to make sure we understand the issues you are seeing, please call support at 425-402-0433.

RudiGreyling

Redmark, did you ever get it resolved.
Dynon Support, any other RV12 owners reporting the same?

we sit with exactly the same problem, RV12 with D180 and D100, Both Screens go Yellow.

We have tried 3 different laptops, Win 7 64bit, Win 7 32 bit, Win XP. All give the same Yellow screens on both. Yes we have the right latest Dynon USB drivers for both 32 and 64 versions corrosponding with OS.

Regards
Rudi

redmark

I finally gave up on the Dynon cable & drivers... I ordered a IOGear cable from Newegg... Work just fine with my Windows 7 Netbook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107906&cm_re=serial_to_usb-_-12-107-906-_-Product

RudiGreyling

Ok we resolved our rv12 duel screen problem.
We had to cut the rx/tx lines that runs to the rv12 control board dsub37 connector it gave us problems.
Then we only had to have 1 screen powered up at a time during updates since both screens share the same rx/tx lines

redmark

Rudi,

I also have an RV-12 but not the dual screen version. I believe the problem is/was low voltage on the serial line. Anyway the new cable fix my issue.

-Ron

RudiGreyling

Ok we resolved our rv12 duel screen problem.
We had to cut the rx/tx lines that runs to the rv12 control board dsub37 connector it gave us problems.
Then we only had to have 1 screen powered up at a time during updates since both screens share the same rx/tx lines

After cutting those lines we noticed to AltEnc info going to the Transponder is missing since it does not display anything, so we had to reconnect those lines...I wish we had a RV12 wiring and pin-out diagram it would making resolving this problem easier.  :-/

Now after updating we dont have and GPS info on the screens, but i will do a seperate post on that, since it is not related to USB :-X