Using D10A as Encoder in Canada

Snowflake

Tweety Bared
I tried the search function but was unsuccessful in finding an answer... So here goes. First post, first question!

I have a Dynon D10A feeding my Garmin 327 transponder. I have heard recently that this configuration is not legal in Canada as the encoder portion is not TSO'd.

Some owners are having trouble getting their pitot/static/transponder systems certified by their local shops because the shops point to the CAR that requires that encoders be TSO'd.

Other owners are not having an issue, the shops are recognizing that these are amateur-built aircraft and believe that the TSO requirement does not apply. Remember, we're talking Canada here, not in the US. I'm aware that in the US this has been hashed to pieces and the TSO requirement does not apply there.

Does anyone have experience with this in Canada? Do I have to add unnecessary weight (a separate encoder) to my plane to meet the regs?

Any help appreciated...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We actually spoke with a customer about this over the phone yesterday (maybe it was you?). We're definitely not experts on the Canadian regs, though I can't say I remember hearing any other reports of Canadian customers having such a problem. That said, a very quick look at the CARs seemed to support the notion that the encoder and altimeter need to be TSO'd. The one part I didn't get into is whether the regs that we were looking at applied at all to experimental aircraft. Sometimes, when you really unravel it, it turns out that only certified aircraft need to meet a particular regulation.

Snowflake

Tweety Bared
As it turns out, it wasn't me, but a friend of a friend.  I only found out that he talked to you after I posted here.

I was hoping that someone with a Dynon feeding a transponder in Canada would have come across this issue, and maybe would have some ideas how to proceed.  My local shop did a test recently on a GRT (sorry) based system that had no encoder other than the GRT, and the aircraft owner said the shop gave him no trouble over it.  I plan to use the same shop, but just want to know what i'm getting into... Forewarned is forearmed, maybe?   :)

mmarien

Murray M.
My GTX327 transponder is fed altitude by my Skyview. I had it checked by a shop at CYXE and the question of TSO source didn't come up. I'm going to an EAA seminar this weekend in High River and will bring it up.

Snowflake

Tweety Bared
Update:  The best answer I have received so far has been from MD-RA (Minister's Delegates - Recreational Aviation, for those not in Canada).  They are responsible for inspections on Amateur-built aircraft prior to their first flight.

Their response was:  "In Canada we accept non TSO'd equipment in amateur built aircraft. An amateur built aircraft is a non certified aircraft therefore there is no requirement to install TSO'd equipment.  In Canada the owner/builder of an amateur built is responsible for his or her aircraft and is the only individual that is eligible to sign out maintenance release's. With regard to out of phase equipment you would employ the services of an avionics shop to test your instruments, perform static pitot test etc. And supply you (the owner) with the pertinent information. (no tag's or certification required ) From the information you would access the serviceability of your instruments and sign in the aircraft log book that the required 24 month check of instruments has been performed and meet's TC criteria." -- Alan Mahon, MD-RA Director

So I think the best bet for someone having trouble getting a shop to do the test, is to ask them to do the test and at least give you enough data that *you* can sign it off yourself.  If they won't, then find another shop.

DBRV10

Yep

Often the case.

I used GE Aviation here in Brisbane, these guys do the big guys stuff.

The tech was so impressed with the accuracy of the Dynon that it was better than the calibrated test rig he had, and it was only calibrated the day before.

You are only required to demonstrate meeting the standard.

Of course the UK might be different, but Canada is most likely more like the USA for rules.