Using Dynon For Performance Testing

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Hi All,

I want to do some performance testing such as takeoff and landing distance and cruise speed economy data recording.

Is the data recording feature of the SV system adequate for reasonably accurate performance testing and logging (I imagine 16 logs per second should be good)?

I have two of these 32 Gig USB sticks plugged into my SV system (one for each screen)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00812F7O8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I intend to use the 16 times per second data record rate described in the Installation Manual Appendix F and the manual says that the user log can record about two hours. Does the record time length of 2 hours depend on the USB stick used (in other words if I have the 32 gig is the two hour quote of if I get a larger stick would that record longer?)

The manual also says something about the screen that the engine information is displayed on will record the data...does this mean that if I do some takeoff and landing performance recording using the pilot side screen and then go up enroute and switch the engine display to the copilot screen then can record an additional two hours?

I have a Savvy Analysis account and can upload the data and look at all of the pretty colored graphs and that way I can see the data using the slider however I also would like to produce some typical "spaghetti charts" for my POH and I assume that exporting to MS Excel is the program to use however I never done this kind of work before.

If anyone can help me figure out the best way to conduct these performance tests and log/record/produce results I would be most appreciative!!!

Ohh...other than "That Know It All Guy" who send me a nasty PM and told me I should "buy a Garmin" ...so if you are that guy...please do not respond...because you are just a "Delta Hotel" and I would rather buy a Garmin than listen to advice from you...however...I do wish you a nice life.

THANKS Everybody (else) for your help!!!

airguy

Ohh...other than "That Know It All Guy" who send me a nasty PM and told me I should "buy a Garmin" ...so if you are that guy...please do not respond...because you are just a "Delta Hotel" and I would rather buy a Garmin than listen to advice from you...however...I do wish you a nice life.

THANKS Everybody (else) for your help!!!

Don't be a tool. Just ignore it and let it go.

mrdaud

Nothing I need to say.  You've made my point... again!   :p

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Thanks for your advice...

If anyone has used the SV data logging to conduct performance testing/recording if you can kindly provide some feedback on the techniques you used I would be most appreciative.

thibault

Homebuilt101,

Think you have a couple of bad assumptions in your request.

First, Skyview datalog recording time is not based on USB stick size.  The logs are recorded into NONVOL memory in the screen computer until the allocated region is full.  Then the data is overwritten with new, discarding the old one record at a time.  The sticks are used to offload the data to take somewhere else.

Second, unless you can cite a reference that says something like "only the screen displaying the EMS data is used to log that data" then I think that is not an issue.  I've never seen it happen, but maybe you are right.

As you already noted, the data can be loaded into Excel and manipulated at will there.  Be sure you use an Excel version at least as new as 2007.  Earlier versions were limited to 65,536 rows in a spreadsheet.  2007 and beyond are limited to 1,048,576.  These are 2^16 and 2^20 rows respectively in a spreadsheet.

For the older Excel versions, that is less than the Skyview max number of rows in a file.  At 16Hz, the limit that Excel could accept is about 1 Hr and 8 minutes data.  New versions of Excel would be OK with a full Skyview file.

Given all that, expecting the Skyview forum to conduct a tutorial on Excel programming seems an over reach.  Anybody local to you with Excel knowledge can help you display that data any way you like.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
I think all of the advice given here is sound. Data logs are stored in onboard memory, which can be exported to a USB memory stick.

One suggestion: 16/sec might be overkill for most uses outside of a very deep flight test program. Knocking the rate down even one or two notches will really up the record time.

A lot of people use the Saavy Analysis website to visualize their flights and take advantage of the services they offer.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
Thanks Tom and Dynon for the advice... very good information.

I know how to use Excel however perhaps the best way to go is to use the Saavy uploading tool and then pick the data points and then plot the data on an excel spreadsheet and have it kick out the spaghetti charts.

THANKS AGAIN

kellym

I love flying!
I think all of the advice given here is sound. Data logs are stored in onboard memory, which can be exported to a USB memory stick.

One suggestion: 16/sec might be overkill for most uses outside of a very deep flight test program. Knocking the rate down even one or two notches will really up the record time.

A lot of people use the Saavy Analysis website to visualize their flights and take advantage of the services they offer.

I have used the data logging for performance testing, and Saavy Analysis. Primarily for mixture balance and temps monitoring. Haven't been too concerned about it for speeds, etc.
I would suggest that data transfer speeds, both for downloading, and for nav data and charts update that https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BGTG41W/ref=psdc_3151491_t1_B00812F7O8 will perform a lot better than the USB 2, and cost is essentially the same. I started with the USB 2 and upgraded to the UltraFit USB 3 some time ago, and the difference is very noticeable, especially for updating the Seattle Avionics charts.

Schorsch

Homebuilt101, you’re not the only one fed up with N214ST who keeps turning good discussions into disrespectful and unpleasant experiences  :mad:

Dynon, I second the motion to ostracize & exile N214ST, and hope you can restore civility and respect here now that we have another complaint of N214ST being nasty on your system violating the ONE SINGLE rule you have for using your forum.

mrdaud

I suggest everyone go back and look at all the posts by HB101 and George and look at how they employ "civility and respect".  My comments have been directed to some posts as being uneducated and better directed to your local educators (EAA chapters) rather than the forum; however, my main retorts have been regarding your quite nasty and undeserved bashing of Dynon.  As a service and product provider, Dynon is limited in their responses to you for obvious reasons, but I am not so limited.  Dynon provides great products to the homebuilt community, and certainly does not deserve the bad-mouthing you have given them, hence, my suggestion that if you dislike Dynon so much, go buy a different product. Just a statement of fact.

I started a small company in 2000 to develop a large, affordable touchscreen EFIS, but entered the market a bit too early when subassembly components were just too expensive. In 2000, a 3 GB solid-state hard drive was $3,000, accelerometers were $1000, and high NIT screens were $2000.  So I know what it takes to develop Dynon type products and you two have no clue. 

I for one, was, and still am grateful for Dynon introducing their product line.  I have had minor disagreements regarding equipment with a few people on the forum, but respect their opinion and have even asked advice of those same individuals.  Respect is not given, it is earned. One can get some insight into an individuals character and capabilities through their writings and comments.  Based on that, I would never fly with, or fly in anything built by HB101 or George.

OK, I am now done with you two. Do your worst! :cool:

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
N214ST,

Just curious... what would be so hard about people like myself who are new to the very complicated Dynon system asking questions on the forum and then very knowledgeable people like yourself answering those questions?

Yes there was one day when again I was faced with the uber-snark that I started a thread called "Is This Forum Supposed To Be Snarky" and then as predicted the small minded boyz piled on and then... in an effort to demonstrate a point I resulted to satire and responded with "if you can't beat them join them" and I lowered myself to their level and joined in on the "slamming"... I thought it was a fun way to prove a point however if I hurt your feelings I hereby apologize and will not do it again.

Can we not be friendly, encouraging, and dare I say " kind" to each other and leave the snarky and down talking insulting nastiness on the political forums?

Yes we do read the over thousands of pages of all of the Dynon manuals and the Garmin and the aircraft building manuals and yes sometimes we don't find/retain/understand /re-find the information so we reach out to you smarter members for help.

Anyway... this is supposed to be an enjoyable process and I also ask that Dynon step in and "mentor" the people who destroy the productivity of the forum with their snark... if for any other reason than this forum has Dynon's name on it and the entire Dynon experience should be positive.

Thanks again for all your help and someday I hope that I can give back to the community.

gtae07

I love flying!
For comparison, hardcore experimental/certification flight test systems use higher data rates, but the stuff we use for incident investigation and troubleshooting on large aircraft doesn't generally record over 10/sec. Some of the newest flight data recorders may be up to 16/sec but most are somewhere in the 4-8/sec range. Even our internal on-demand event recording systems only do 10/sec, and some parameters change state less frequently than that.

Dynon101

I love flying!<br />
!!!ADVISORY: THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS A JOKE AND ONLY A JOKE!!!

N214ST says>I would never fly with, or fly in anything built by HB101 or George.

N214ST what is your address? Let us know so we will not fly our airplanes over your house lest any parts fall off.

THE AFOREMENTIONED JOKE HAS CONCLUDED SO PLEASE RESUME YOUR PREVIOUSLY SCHEDULED TECHNICAL FORUM DISCUSSIONS