UTC and local time differ by 30 minutes

aeroclub13

THe local time can only be set in one hours intervals to UTC. Where we live, however, the difference to UTC is 9.5 hours. Therefore either UTC or Local time are incorrect. ANy way around this?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Re: UTC and local time differ by 30 minutes

Interesting. Right this second, there's no way around this, but because it's a relateively easy change to make, we snuck it into the next firmware update - due sometime in September.

aeroclub13

Thank you so much! We are talking about Central Australia. The total time difference from East to West is only 3 hours but there is this 0.5 hour in the middle of the desert. There are many watches, too, which do not allow for this, and often pilots get their position reporting wrong because one has to add '30' to the minutes hand of the watch, or if digital, it is even harder. Being new to this 'glass cockpit' we are absolutely excited about the Dynon!

Canadian_JOY

There are other places in the world with a 30-minute time zone too. Newfoundland, Canada for example. I'm surprised this fact would escape the manufacturer, but since this code is written in the US by Americans, and since there are no 30-minute time zones in the US, I guess we can see the logical progression to this point. Glad to hear it's being fixed!

jim

Singapore used to have be in a 1/2 time zone, but they and I had thought all others had converted to the standard hourly time zone.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member

The 30 minute offset feature was added in our latest software release in October, so you can configure it no matter where you are.