Vals Nav 2000 integration to Skyview

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
I have just installed the Val Nav2000 to the Skyview and have found that contrary to common belief the Skyview's SL30 compatibility does not fully integrate with Val's SL30 compatibility.
Does Dynon have any interest in allowing Val's product to integrate?
It would be nice to add another venue besides Garmins SL30 for those of us who are upgrading by complimenting an SL40 com with Val's Nav2000.

All appreciated,

Phil

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As far as we know, the NAV2000 works just fine with SkyView. Do you have some data that shows otherwise?

There are issues with the 2KR (no way to set volume or specific frequencies), or using the NAV2000 with the D100/D10A, but with SkyView we aren't remembering any issues.

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
That is good to hear but not what I found.
Can you get me in contact with someone that is using it successfully?
Or even better who are you at Dynon so that I may call you.

Thanks,

Phil

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Phil,
Looks like we are already conversing with you via phone/email. We'll keep in touch that way and then post our findings here.

rlallen1

I love flying!
curious as to the results of this thread....Were you successful in integrating the NAV 2000 to the Skyview?

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
Ryan,

I just returned my unit to Vals avionics where they are confident that a fix is in. Should get unit back this coming week and will post once I test it.

Phil

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
I have installed the unit back in the airplane and have ground tested the unit. All seems to be working properly in the hangar. I am waiting for some descent weather to go flight test the unit but I do believe Dynon and Val have worked out the firmware that was needed.
I'll post the results once I go flying.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Yep, we believe it's compatible with the latest Nav2k firmware installed. Our next software update will add a serial port selection that calls it out by name (it will perform identically as the existing SL30 assignment you'll use in the meantime)

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
I flew with the Nav2000 this morning and it Does work as advertised. Thank you Dynon and Val's avionics for making it happen.

rlallen1

I love flying!
This is great news... I have wanting to add the sl30 to my panel so I make ifr.. I definitely like price of the nav2000 better. So, to be clear the nav2000 will communicate with the skyview and drive the hsi via rs232. I assume you are able to tune in a VOR radial for tracking and intercepting purposes...is this done on the skyview or the val.? Also, is the val able to display the standby VOR like the sl30?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You tune the VAL via the knob on front, or via the VOR list in SkyView.

It is not our product, so you should verify with them, but our understanding is that the VAL does not support tuning of the standby frequency nor automatic decoding of the morse code like the SL-30 did.

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
This is great news...  I have wanting to add the sl30 to my panel so I make ifr.. I definitely like price of the nav2000 better.  So, to be clear the nav2000 will communicate with the skyview and drive the hsi via rs232.  I assume you are able to tune in a VOR radial for tracking and intercepting purposes...is this done on the skyview or the val.?  Also, is the val able to display the standby VOR like the sl30? 
You tune the VAL via the knob on front, or via the VOR list in SkyView.

It is not our product, so you should verify with them, but our understanding is that the VAL does not support tuning of the standby frequency nor automatic decoding of the morse code like the SL-30 did.

Ryan,
Yes the Nav 2000 does communicate with the Skyview via the rs232. You can tune a VOR radial either using the large left dial on the Nav or via the obs on the Skyview. I tend to use the nav knob on Val's unit for simplicity. I also use this to set the inbound course on the ILS.The Val does display the standby frequency with a flip flop switch in between them.
The one draw back is as Dynon stated that Val does not decode the morse code so you legally must, or at least should confirm the ident. It will show on the EFIS as NAV or LOC with the corresponding frequency but does not identify it for you. Back to old school. Make sure you're tuned in to the proper frequency.
I went out and flew six ILS approaches today. 2 raw data, 2 with Flight Director and 2 coupled with A/P. I was happy with the presentation and was quite pleased with the integration of the two systems. The Coupled approaches were better than I expected. Just make sure your Autopilot is working per Dynons standards.
Over all I'd rate it a 4 out of 5.

Polaris

VAL and D100?

Nice, glad you're operational Philippe. Do you think the VAL could be integrated with a D100 unit? Rgds Mike.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
With the latest firmware, the VAL speaks the same way the SL-30 does, so it should be usable on the D100 as well.

rlallen1

I love flying!
Philippe, do you recall the settings you had to input in the VAL to make it work. There is another post discussing the setting now. thanks,

Philippe_Michel

I love flying!
Ryan,
Per the val nav 2000 install manual.
The available Configuration settings are as follows: Rs I: Resolver Input selection: This allows selection of the OBS data input. Rs T: Resolver Test: This function shows the current selected OBS from either the mechanical
resolver or the Serial port as selected from Rs I. RsCl: Resolver Calibration: Allows for the calibration of a mechanical resolver. SrMd: Serial Mode: Allows for configuration as a standalone unit or slaved to a COM 2000 to fully emulate a Garmin SL-30. VORC: VOR Calibrate: Allows for front panel calbration of the VOR system to the currently displayed frequency.

I set it at Rs-I on my setup.