VHF radio interference

BBGLASAIR

I've just completed Skyview installation to find that I have static noise on one frequency only, which disappears when SV is switched off. The ADHARS cabling is bundled with two VHF aerials through the centre console area of my Glasair, but if I disconnect the ADHARS cabling, the noise remains. My second VHF set is unaffected.  Anybody got any ideas?  Has a VHF gremlin appeared at the same time as SV installation??  Thanks....  BB

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We do have a kit of D-sub dongles that we can send you for this issue (which is pretty rare, but a known issue). Email tech support at support@dynonavionics.com, or call at 425-402-0433.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Hi Brian,

My E-mail reply to you through our Tech Support system bounced back as undeliverable. I'm resending that and also posting here on the forum in hopes you'll respond.

I just need to know whether you have one or two SkyView displays. We can send you a kit of 3 filters -- one for each of the 3 D-sub connections on the back of the display -- no cost to you. If you have two displays, each would require the filters installed.

We can ship those out today if you are able to notify us by 2:00p Seattle time (PST). Otherwise, those will ship tomorrow (Tuesday 07 Dec).

Regards,

--
Dynon Technical Support

BBGLASAIR

I've now flown about 10hours since installing my Dynon supplied D-sub dongles.  The filter works very well in removing VHF interference, but I now find that SOMETIMES, I get a low grade "hash" that rises and falls & then disappears, only to re-appear. It's more than noticeable, but not a showstopper, but you wouldn't want to undertake a long flight with it present. Not present at all on some flights. No avionics changes since installation. I get the impression that the capacitive filter is not quite blocking all the RF.. is this a valid assumption?  Should I install another similar filter in line with the existing one, or get a "stronger" one?  Single screen SV 10". No Skyview EMS. T/Trak A/P Lightspeed headsets.

brochinejr

I am having some trouble with skyview interference in VHF. I am using 2 7in displays and an ICON radio. When skyview is off there is no interference but when it is turned on the noise starts. Do you think that this filter can solve my problem?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Brian... The EMI filters we supply knock the RF noise level way down. If you still have occasional audio issue, try to isolate what else is happening at that time. (Such as, is your cell phone on? Is the TruTrak doing something?) If it happens while on the ground, have you tried turning off SkyView and other equipment to see if you can isolate the source?

Brochinejr.... This does sound like a EMI issue. Send us an email at support@dynonavionics.com and request filter sets for two screens.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also, do you have the audio connected from the SkyView to your audio system? The hash may be coming from there.

You can check if it's RF noise easily, since adjusting the volume on your radio will also adjust the volume of the noise. If adjusting the radio volume doesn't change the noise, it's not RF coming in through the radio.

BBGLASAIR

Brian... The EMI filters we supply knock the RF noise level way down. If you still have occasional audio issue, try to isolate what else is happening at that time. (Such as, is your cell phone on?  Is the TruTrak doing something?) If it happens while on the ground, have you tried turning off SkyView and other equipment to see if you can isolate the source?

Brochinejr.... This does sound like a EMI issue. Send us an email at support@dynonavionics.com and request filter sets for two screens.
OK, will investigate & come back. Thank you.  BB

rickw

With the panel powered, wires all shielded if called out everything DYNON skyview 10" with mgl v10 comm works as advertised....but..I get a slight clicking. If I power down the efis, its gone. So..not a comm issue, something from dynon is creating that noise. Any opinions anyone on what I can check. Nothing else on, just comm and efis and slight click like someone is clicking the ptt button.

Lionclaw

Rick, I have the same issue with my Skyview and MGL V10. I haven't done a whole lot of testing yet, but it seems to go away after I tap the transmit button once. If I turn the Skyview off it goes away, but then I get a whooping noise.

I also can hear tones on my V10 when I set the Skyview to certain brightness settings. Full bright is ok, full dim is ok, but a few of the levels in-between give a steady tone.

I have the Dynon supplied filters installed...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First thing to look at: Is your SkyView audio out line connected to anything? If so, that might be producing some audio artifacts, as that line isn't being actively driven at the moment since audio out is still todo. For the time being, the audio output line from SkyView should not be connected anything. Any chance that's the culprit for either of you?

Lionclaw

Mine is wired up, so that could very well be the problem. I'll try disconnecting it and post back here with the results.

denniskfox

Am I asking for trouble by running the com coax thru the same wire grommet (@wing spar center) as the adahrs and a-pilot wires?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
As long as all of the SkyView Network data wires are twisted pair as spec'd, you should be OK. That said, it's hard to predict RF/EMI interference perfectly. if you had any data issues, that would be the first thing we'd have you look into.

BBGLASAIR

Apologies for no reply recently re my VHF "hash" problem as I'm grounded due to fitting PMags. More in a couple of weeks. Brian B.

pe190

Hi I have 2 D700's and a Icom A210 and I am also having a problem with RF noise from the screens.(no noise with screens off) How do i order the filters as I can't see them on the website
Paul