Video screen for tandem aircraft

Bob_Ellis

Any chance of producing a video screen for tandem aircraft using Dynon Smart Avionics Bus (DSAB) or having a video out on one of the the D-plugs to use a car headrest video screen?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Video out isn't an inherent capability of our products. We don't currently have plans to produce a stand-alone screen. Right now, the only way to get a second display is through a second EFIS or EMS.

PilotKris

Wasn't this suggested by someone before?

Oh Yea! It was me!

If Dynon doesn't want to produce a surface mount repeater for tandem planes (RV4s, RV8s, Harmon Rockets, EZs, Sky Arrows, Cubs, Cub Clones, Huskys, Taylorcraft, etc, etc, etc,), how a Dynon Buss to video converter?

It should be relativity easy to make a box that takes the information from the serial buss and outputs the basic EFIS screen in NTSC format. That way those with tandem aircraft could purchase whatever screen is best for their situation.

Of course, we'd be REALLY happy if Dynon wanted to produce the screen too.

PilotKris

khorton

It should be relativity easy to make a box that takes the information from the serial buss and outputs the basic EFIS screen in NTSC format. That way those with tandem aircraft could purchase whatever screen is best for their situation.
I'd be interested in such a device, at the right price.  But, only a small percentage of the Dynon EFIS are being installed in tandem seat aircraft, and only a certain percentage of those purchasers would be interested in a back seat EFIS display.  So, the total market is probably fairly small, and I doubt it is large enough to justify the engineering costs to develop the product.

But, if there is sufficient info available on the serial bus to define the parametres of interest, it is worth noting that Dynon has published the format of this info.  Thus if someone believes there is a large enough market for such a device to pay for the engineering time to develop it, then nothing is stopping them from producing the converter and selling it.

PilotKris

If there's so little interest, why does the subject keep popping up? (I didn't prompt Bob... really)

One thing is sure, If Dynon did have such a product, they'd secure a 100% marketshare for tandem planes as none of their competetors have such a product. Meaning they'd sell alot more D10A, D100 or D180s (to go in the front seat).

dodsond

Wjy not put in another D10 or D-100 and connect only power and DSAB? The video thing sounds just as pricey.

PilotKris

Wjy not put in another D10 or D-100 and connect only power and DSAB?  The video thing sounds just as pricey.

It isn't the price that is the issue (except for khorton), it's that the rear seat in most tandem aircraft doesn't have the depth behind the panel for a D10 or D-100.

I'd gladly put a D10A in my rear seat but there simply isn't any room. What's needed is a surface mount screen (up to about 1"- 1.5" inch deep would be fine).

Don't let khorton's comments let you think this is a price issue, most of us would gladly pay a fair price for the remote screen.

PilotKris

PhantomPholly

Ah, that sounds like a different request from what was originally posted. Perhaps Dynon can "split" the D-10A into two units with a longer connecting cable (display screen + electronics) and then you could mount the electronics in the leg well.

How about it Dynon, is it possible to split off the screen from the rest of the unit? That would be a GREAT feature...

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
It is not possible to split the screen and body into separate units. There are lots of wires that go between the body and the display, and some of them are very high voltage. None of the signals are designed to go more than a few inches.

As we've always said, it's possible for us to design a standalone screen product, but it is not cost effective. We'd have to sell it for at least as much as an EMS-D10 ($1700) and probably more given the low volume. We just don't think enough people would buy it.

khorton

As we've always said, it's possible for us to design a standalone screen product, but it is not cost effective. We'd have to sell it for at least as much as an EMS-D10 ($1700) and probably more given the low volume. We just don't think enough people would buy it.
How many confirmed orders at $1700 would you need before Dynon would design and build a batch of these things?  I'm not prepared to buy one at that price, but supposedly there are a lot of people who want one badly enough that price is not an issue for them.  If this large bunch of people will commit to buying one, then you can build it without losing money, they will have a back seat display, and everyone will be happy.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Seriously, we'd probably need a pre-order of 250-500 units. We really don't do a product unless we think we can sell 2000+ of them, so we'd need a lot of pre-demand.

This is a complex product because it needs its own software upkeep (even though a huge % of the software would be shared, it is still another build, another thing to test every time we roll software).

PilotKris

Put my name on the list. I've also got 2 other friends that would want one too.

I'd start looking for orders with the RV6/RV8/Harman Rocket and EZ builders. Also any SLSA manufactures of tandem aircraft like Clubcrafters etc.

Let’s not forget that the option of a remote screen will also result in additional sales of D180/D100/D10A units as tandem owner/builders opt for a Dynon unit over the competition (who offer no such option).

Additional units will also be purchased by others who would appreciate the more flexible mounting options or who have run out of panel space (yoke mount? mount on the door of a glove box? flip down from the overhead? flip up from the glareshield? he possibilites are endless...).

PilotKris

loopfuzz

I've been working on a back seat screen for my dynon which displays the dynon data like airspeed, alt, pitch, roll, magnetic heading... etc from the serial data port.  It uses a simple small LCD.  Very basic, but gets the job done.

I have attached a picture.

Chris.

Attachments

• flying_rv4_backseat_efis.jpg
    flying_rv4_backseat_efis.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 197

loopfuzz

I finished my backseat screen for the dynon.  only cost about $50 to make.  This could easily be a 2nd backup screen for a side by side aircraft.  I may release the source code for this if people are interested.  I also posted some details about this on the vans airforce site.

Here's a you tube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSnvoyR0pGY

Attachments

• efis_buddy4.jpg
    efis_buddy4.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 154

ArjanPlomp

I've tried the software from
http://www.iflyez.com/EFISRecorder.shtml
on a netbook in the backseat of our RV-8 using two Serial to USB convertors. It technically works fine (although the software is outdated and does not allow you to combine EFIS & EMS screens), but is cumbersome. Even a netbook is too big, the wires are cumbersome and a clueless user would have troubles. Not even talking about boot-up time, etc.

I investigated the option to build a small dedicated pc and purchase a small touch screen. Fairly pricey. The most feasable option for now is to purchase an EMS-D10 (has the shortest case) and mount it along the back side of the pilot seat, which puts the screen almost horizontal. Not great either.

I've read Dynon's comments regarding pre-order,etc and completely understand their point of view. However, testing should be greatly simplified if the unit would not perform any other functions than just display information.

I believe the -out of business- Blue Mountain Avionics  had a unit for the backseat...

I've been toying with the idea to convert the serial data into bluetooth and create software on the G-phone, I-phone or Windows Mobile.

Arjan Plomp