Viewing TRSA's in Skyview Classic map

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
I assume I have a setting incorrect but I am unable to see TRSA airspace. I do see B, C, and D airspace but not TRSA's.
Suggestions?

CanardMulti

Depending on what map or chart you choose to display, the B, C, and D airspace come from your Seattle Avionics data subscription, or the US Aviation Database you download from Dynon. TRSA information is often much more transient, as in for VIP movements and natural disasters. I believe that for TRSA info to be displayed on the Dynon map, you first need to have the SV-ADSB-472 installed for ADSB - IN. IIRC, it then takes 2 separate settings to enable display - you have to turn NEXRAD on in the weather options menu AND then turn on the "WX/Q" button on the map page. This is for Classic displays; I'm told it is slightly different for the HDX. If I got that a bit sideways, hopefully someone will correct me.

birddog486

I love flying!
I assume I have a setting incorrect but I am unable to see TRSA airspace. I do see B, C, and D airspace but not TRSA's.
Suggestions?
A TRSA is a Radar Service Area which is voluntary to participate, not a true airspace. You can probably see them depicted using the Seattle Avionics VFR chart on the Skyview

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
A TRSA is a Radar Service Area which is voluntary to participate, not a true airspace. You can probably see them depicted using the Seattle Avionics VFR chart on the Skyview
I do see TRSA airspace on the VFR chart but I expected to see the airspace also depicted on the Aviation database which I use most of the time. Can someone confirm if the Aviation database has TRSA data? I assumed I have a setting wrong.

CanardMulti

TFR are displayed on Dynon screens as transmitted up from the ground stations via ADSB-IN. Do you have that installed and working?
Yes, my SV-ADSB-472 is installed and working. Saved me from an inadvertent violation when a TFR popped up over a huge chemical plant fire near my home field while I was out flying. The TFR wasn't in the full brief I got a 2 hours earlier. The fire had been burning for almost 2 days. Note: I think I read somewhere that feds do not count the ADSB TFR depictions as "official". Why beats the heck out of me.

CanardMulti

I am trying to view TRSA airspace not TFR's.
There is a large-ish towered airport not far from my home airport that has a TRSA. It is indeed depicted on my Dynon generated terrain map. The space is depicted with black lines, whereas class C space is depicted w/ red (magenta?) lines.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
There is a large-ish towered airport not far from my home airport that has a TRSA. It is indeed depicted on my Dynon generated terrain map. The space is depicted with black lines, whereas class C space is depicted w/ red (magenta?) lines.
Thank you for confirming my expectation. Now why am I not seeing it?
I have assumed that I have a setting wrong but looking for help on what to check.

swatson999

I just confirmed this afternoon that the Palm Springs TRSA is on the VFR charts (at least, it is on SkyVector) and *not* displayed on the SV aviation database-derived map.

I also found no fields in the config files for TRSA (or ARSA, if those still exist :) ), unlike Class A, B, C, MOA, etc.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
swatson999 does not see TRSA's on the terrain map but CanardMulti (above) does see them.
I would like to see them if available.

Disappointed that DYNON has chosen not to answer this basic question.

swatson999

Let's make sure we are talking the same thing here...I am talking about the Dynon-provided aviation database that gets rendered on the Map page when you select the TERRAIN layer, AND the data is NOT from Jepp or another source:

TERRAIN – Pressing the TERRAIN button displays SkyView’s built-in high resolution terrain and basemap with digital aviation and obstacle data from Dynon (FAA), Jeppesen, or PocketFMS, depending on the databases installed.

I have no idea what might be displayed using Jeff or PocketFMS data, I've zero experience with those datasets.

preid

Swatson is correct, the largest TRSA in SoCal is Palm Springs and it is NOT shown on MAP.

another point on what is shown in MAP- just me but if there is another just me out there, permanent TFRs (Disney) and no ADSB on MAP are also not shown. Only stadium TFR are shown and unless you have ADSB are always same color regardless if they are active or not.

swatson999

As of mid-2014, the FAA's ADS-B data broadcast no longer includes graphical depictions of Stadium TFRs. Although SkyView retains the capability to show them, at this the FAA has given no indication that they intend to restore them to the data that is sent via ADS-B. Dynon has created a database for Stadium TFRs which can be loaded similar to other Aviation databases from the Dynon website.

User's Manual.

swatson999

I didn't realize there were this many TRSAs still in existence...it would be nice if Dynon included these in the data and display, but if they're not coming from the FAA in the dataset that is being provided, then we'd be back to the Stadium TFR situation:

ETA: Aha...so TRSAs aren't technically listed in the FAA airspace types, but are holdovers from pre-1993 airspace redefinitions (when we went to Class A, B, C, etc.) that ended up not becoming Class C, just sort of a vestigial thing. So the FAA may not actually publish TRSA data anymore, and thus Dynon wouldn't have it in their dataset?

Last edited:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
Had to research this. It turns out that TSRAs aren't really airspaces airspace in the modern era. They are not depicted via the digital data. They are, as discussed above - visible on the Seattle Avionics sectionals.

From the FAA AIM:

Terminal Radar Service Area (TRSA)
Background. TRSAs were originally established as part of the Terminal Radar Program at selected airports. TRSAs were never controlled airspace from a regulatory standpoint because the establishment of TRSAs was never subject to the rulemaking process; consequently, TRSAs are not contained in 14 CFR Part 71 nor are there any TRSA operating rules in 14 CFR Part 91. Part of the Airport Radar Service Area (ARSA) program was to eventually replace all TRSAs. However, the ARSA requirements became relatively stringent and it was subsequently decided that TRSAs would have to meet ARSA criteria before they would be converted. TRSAs do not fit into any of the U.S. airspace classes; therefore, they will continue to be non-Part 71 airspace areas where participating pilots can receive additional radar services which have been redefined as TRSA Service.

siacov

Finishing RV-9A
Had to research this. It turns out that TSRAs aren't really airspaces airspace in the modern era. They are not depicted via the digital data. They are, as discussed above - visible on the Seattle Avionics sectionals.

From the FAA AIM:

Terminal Radar Service Area (TRSA)
Background. TRSAs were originally established as part of the Terminal Radar Program at selected airports. TRSAs were never controlled airspace from a regulatory standpoint because the establishment of TRSAs was never subject to the rulemaking process; consequently, TRSAs are not contained in 14 CFR Part 71 nor are there any TRSA operating rules in 14 CFR Part 91. Part of the Airport Radar Service Area (ARSA) program was to eventually replace all TRSAs. However, the ARSA requirements became relatively stringent and it was subsequently decided that TRSAs would have to meet ARSA criteria before they would be converted. TRSAs do not fit into any of the U.S. airspace classes; therefore, they will continue to be non-Part 71 airspace areas where participating pilots can receive additional radar services which have been redefined as TRSA Service.
Thank you for confirming.

swatson999

Granted TRSAs aren't much of a thing, but the data must be available *somewhere*, or it wouldn't make it onto the paper charts. Perhaps Dynon could locate it and include it in the data? Much like stadium TFRs aren't published every month anymore, but the data is out there?