Visual VFR approaches

whd721

I love flying!
Garmin is advertising Visual (VFR only) approached on their GTN and G1000NXi gear. Apparently loads like an IFR approach, but with VFR ONLY warnings. Does Dynon have any inclination along this feature? That would appear to be useful at a new never seen before airport and for practice.

Raymo

I love aviation!
Dynon added some limited vertical guidance in a prior release. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

rleffler

I love flying!
If you have a Garmin navigator, you already have this if you are at the current Garmin release. The EFIS treats this just like any IFR approach coming from the gps navigator.

I don’t use it because it sequences you for a straight in approach. Perhaps if you are on an IFR clearance and get a visual approach. My home Airport is too busy to even think about a straight in approach when it’s vfr.

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
Dynon SkyView has it.

1 - Approach angle (defined once or when you want to change it)
2 - Altitude (MSL, QNH) where you want to level off (defined once or when you want to change it). But you define height above threshold (QFE).
What you do not see here is the distance where to level off. In my case I level off at 300 ft QFE in a distance of 1/2 mile before threshold .
3 - GPS mode is armed. GP will be intercepted via TRK mode. The interseption angle can be whatever you like, distance as well
4 - VNV vertical nav mode is armed, just flying level in 2300 ft into the GP (from below).
5 - GP visualisation. It is still well above. I'm 14.7 nm from threshold.

When GPS and VNV mode are activated (lateron automatically) you only have to care for the speed. However, SkyView tries to maintain the angle of 3.5 deg whatever speed you fly.

WmInce

Dynon SkyView has it.

View attachment 3609

1 - Approach angle (defined once or when you want to change it)
2 - Altitude (MSL, QNH) where you want to level off (defined once or when you want to change it). But you define height above threshold (QFE).
What you do not see here is the distance where to level off. In my case I level off at 300 ft QFE in a distance of 1/2 mile before threshold .
3 - GPS mode is armed. GP will be intercepted via TRK mode. The interseption angle can be whatever you like, distance as well
4 - VNV vertical nav mode is armed, just flying level in 2300 ft into the GP (from below).
5 - GP visualisation. It is still well above. I'm 14.7 nm from threshold.

When GPS and VNV mode are activated (lateron automatically) you only have to care for the speed. However, SkyView tries to maintain the angle of 3.5 deg whatever speed you fly.
Slick!