voltage regulator

Monty

Is someone able to verify for me if the voltage regulator for aircraft alternator is part of the VPX set up. Thank you

Rhino

Does it come with the VP-X? No. Does the installation manual cover how to connect it? Yes.

Monty

Super useless and demeaning Rhino. With the help of someone who took the time to offer something like "check out page 30", I am slowly figuring out this issue.
Does it come with the VP-X? No. Does the installation manual cover how to connect it? Yes.

Reactions: ned

wilkersk

I love flying!
The VP-X documentation discusses, in detail, the different voltage regulator requirements and interface. The VP-X planner even has a menu driven choices for Alternator/VR options.

Monty

Thank you Wilkersk. I didn't know there was a VP-X planner. I will check it out. I have had this plan for about 2 years and it had the Dynon system already installed. Everything was working great until a few months ago when the alternator threw a belt. I replaced the belt and tightened everything back up but in the process the main lead off the alternator had worked its way loose. This revealed itself in inconsistent amps and occasional alternator CB trips (also on the VPX bus). I took things apart and discovered the loose lead, recrimped it and things worked great for about 2 weeks. Now the alternator seems to have stopped working again - indicated by consistent battery drain. So now I am wondering what next. There were no schematics that came with the aircraft, so I have figured all that out now and determined there is no installed voltage regulator. I also understand now that VPX does not act as the regulator. Now I am trying to determine what type alternator is currently installed and if it has an internal regulator. I will see if the VP-X planner can help determine a best path. The current alternator only has 2 wires attached. The main lead and the F1 field sense headed to the VPX. Really wordy, reply on my part, but I am grateful for any insight or thoughts on alternators with internal regulators.

Monty

Thanks for the help. Wiring and alternator all installed. I now am seeing 14.8-14.9V on the VPX display. This seems a bit high and there are different opinions on line. Anyone have a thought on this?

Monty

I am getting feedback from Dynon this is okay at start and should drop a little after 15-30 minutes. Would not mind a second opinion. Thanks everyone and happy holidays

Attachments

• IMG_2529.jpg
    IMG_2529.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 41

wilkersk

I love flying!
Is it possible to put a voltmeter accross the battery terminals while the engine is running? Compare that voltage to what you're seeing on the VP-X widget. If the difference is more than 0.1 - 0.2 volts, I believe you could have a problem that needs looking into.

Otherwise, as long as (like Dynon says) the volts on the widget decrease after a few minutes, your voltage regulator is doing what its supposed to do. Ideally, a healthy battery with a good charge should show a voltage of around 14.2v in flight.