VOR nav HS34

ronharn

VOR nav on HSI :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This a new topic for me. The VOR on the HSI still does not function
properly. Full deflection to both sides of the instrument. Real spastic!
I have a Garmin 530 W as a primary sourse. I have 50 hours on the aircraft and the HS34. In the VOR mode the unit is unreliable and useless.

Ronharn

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ron,
Are you hooked up via ARINC-429 or the analog connections?
If it's ARINC, what speeds are you running at (high/low)?

Is the jumpy needle there only when you are turning the dial, or even when you are well centered on a radial?

Do you have an external CDI or HSI hooked to the 530?

ronharn

Thanks for the quick reply to my inquiry about the VOR problem with
spastic needle on the HS34.

1. It is hooked up to the Arinc 429 path or port.

2. Speed/rate. High for VOR. Low for GPS signal from Arinc.

3. It behaves jumpy when the knob is moved.

This info from the installer.

ronharn

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
When you say you have a CDI, do you mean that you have a standard mechanical CDI instrument hooked up to the 430 as well as the HS34?

This should work, but you wouldn't want the resolver lines hooked up to the mechanical CDI. If you did have them hooked up (which would normally let you adjust the CDI on that instrument), it could conflict with the HS34's course request.

jessesaint

Ron's HS34 is hooked up to the ARINC both on the 530W's VOR output and GPS output. The speed for everything is High except for the 530's GPS ARINC output, which is set to low because of the need to run the TruTrak Sorcerer as well, which will only handle low speed, as I understand it. I don't remember the exact ARINC output format, but it is whatever the Sorcerer requires for the WAAS 530 output. Ron, is the needle spastic when the source is the NAV or GPS? That will help narrow down where the problem might be. Also, confirm that it is spastic all the time or only when you are rotating the knob on the HS34.

ronharn

In reply to your two questions.

1. The needle is spastic when in the NAV SOURSE.

2. The full deflection only happens when the dial, or knob is moved.

Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So we've seen this behavior too - it has to do with the time it take for the course request to make the round trip between the EFIS and the radio, the time it takes the radio to retune, and the return of that information to the EFIS.

We'd suggest setting one of your bearings to be your bearing to the active VOR. This way you can spin and center the course quickly based on the course to the station without having to wait for the needle to center.

Brantel

I have to agree with Ron, what is the true fix for this?

Does this happen as well with the SL30 over serial?

GRT, AFS and MGL don't seem to have a problem talking to the x30W over ARINC in regard to setting the course and displaying the error via the deviation indicator so this must be something you can fix with code.

Does anyone else have this issue?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I should clarify - we're certainly looking into it further and hope to improve the performance in a future software release.

What I meant is that we do not currently know of a way to improve the performance immediately, except for potentially changing the data speed. As an experiment, can you try seeing if changing between low and high changes things?

Actually, one alternative would be to hook up to the analog side of the 430 in the mean time while we work on a solution on the ARINC side. The only thing you'd lose on the display is the frequency you are tuned to.

jessesaint

I have to say that the suggestion to connect the analog signal from the 430 is not a good fix either. What that really means is something like, "let's spend several hours wiring in a bunch of analog signals to dumb down the functionality of the HSI." Do you have a unit that you can get the same problems with that Ron is experiencing or are you just guessing what might be causing it and trying to fix it with software without being able to do testing? Is there a way to quickly verify that Ron has the newest HS34 software that was supposed to fix the problem without hooking up a computer? Does the D-180 show what software version it has and that of the HS34? If so, please explain it to Ron so we can post what software he has in both units to verify that it has your previous "fix" installed. I know I installed the HS34 software but was told that the D-180 software didn't need to be updated to get the HS34 fixes, so I didn't want to fix something that wasn't broken.

Thanks.

Brantel

I repeat my question to Dynon support...

Does this same thing happen when setting the course with the SL30 connected to the HS34 via the serial port?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We have verified that the issue occurs in current software, and are incorporating a solution for this into the next release, version 5.0. That version is schedule to be finished in a couple months, so it won't be right away, but we will do our best to get it out there as soon as we can.

Very sorry for the trouble, usually the bugs we run into aren't major. In this case it is significant, we'll make it right.

Nick

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Also to Ron,

It sounds like you would be anxious to get the fix. There may be an opportunity for you to be included in the beta testing when we are ready. That would both be another person to verify the fix and also get you something at least a little sooner. Email technical support if you are interested.

ronharn

Nick,

Thanks for your honest and up front answer to the VOR nav HS34 problem. I can and will wait for the fix.

Ron ;)

ronharn

To Technical Support,

Yes, I would be interested in the beta testing on the HS34 nav VOR problem. What is the procedure on my end, if any?

Ron

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Ron,
Please email betarequest@dynonavionics.com and we'll get you set up.