VSI on D180

zip_andre

I love flying!
I have version 5.5 and I have no display, tape or digital, of VSI. PAGE 5.9 of the D180 pilot guide manual says that with EFIS>SETUP>CLUTTR I will have a VSI option to toggle display on or off. I have no VSI option showing under the CLUTTR command although the others do display. Is it somewhere else?
Every thing else seems to be working ok. If I understand how it supposed to work, the only way to vary vertical speed is by power, as the pitch command, with ALT HOLD off, is dictated by the airspeed entered on the BUGS page. (I have no SP34) So if a faster rate of descent is desired, retard the throttle.
Third row on the voltmeter I is D180 internal battery. Mine always reads 15+, while the first line bus power reads the airplane battery and is 12 to 14 depending on my rpm. Is the 15+ volt normal? Thanks, zip andre :cool:

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
There is only a graphical VSI (to the right of the altimeter) on the modern display, which you can select by going to SETUP > STYLE > MODERN. Then you can toggle it on or off via SETUP > CLUTTR > VSI (you'll need to hit MORE to scroll through the items under the CLUTTR menu)

There is a digital VSI that you can bring up on either the upper left or right of the display in either mode. It is under INFO > LEFT or RIGHT > VSI.

zip_andre

I love flying!
second part of my query was - Is reading 15+V sound ok on the D180 internal battery? And does that battery get charged up in the normal course of things since the alternator voltage is never of 14.2 or so.
Your answer to my first Question was right on, the system style needs to be in Modern. Now I have VSI.
thanks

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
The EFIS converts the voltage to be able to charge the battery, regardless of the input voltage. A "full" battery is in the 16ish volt range. If all you're ever seeing is low 15s even after you've flown regularly, it probably won't power the EFIS for the duration you'll want it to during a real emergency. You can do a rundown test to be sure, but it might also be time for a new battery.