Waiex roll servo installation

N125YX

Back in May I got the right servos in hand to use a modified arm (longer than the long arm Dynon supplies, so I went to an sV-42 servo). Now that I've finally gotten the arm manufactured I can't figure out how to get the original arm off the servo and I fear that I've screwed the pooch. Once I removed the 310 nut on the shaft I thought the arm would come off, but no joy, so I thought that the 7/64ths allen head locator was the key, and now realize that it was a shear pin. A sheared pin in this case.
A. Do I need to drive out the pinch pin in the boss behind the arm to get this assembly apart?
B. What is holding the arm to the boss?
C. Can I get a replacement shear pin from Dynon with idiot instructions.

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Once you've removed the nut, the arm should come right off. If it's stuck, it wouldn't hurt to have us take a look at it if you'd like. We do have shear screw replacement instructions at http://dynonavionics.com/docs/support_bulletins.html, and if you call support at 425-402-0433 or email at support at dynonavionics dot com, they can get you a replacement.

N125YX

Thanks, that's good news. I'll get in touch to get a replacement shear pin. I'll bet the arm is just stuck to the surface, but I was reluctant to start prying, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

DONK

I love flying!
I'm building a dual control WAIEX and having already built the wings, trying to figure out how to connect a roll servo in the fuselage. Since the aileron push rod moves fore and aft with pitch input, it seems that a roll servo mounted to the controls at that point will input a pitch force. Any help will be appreciated.

davedubb

You will need to modify or make a servo arm that is 3" from the center of the servo to the center of the rod end attachment in order to get the amount of throw needed. The pushrod will need to be 20" long. You will also need an SV42 servo in order to get enough torque. I suggest your re-enforce the floor around the servo to reduce the amount of flex. Make sure the servo arm does not rub on the seat bottom when the seat is occupied. I've attached pictures for reference.

Attachments

• SkyView_Install_2010_031.jpg
    SkyView_Install_2010_031.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 541
  • SkyView_Install_2010_033.jpg
    SkyView_Install_2010_033.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 267

stuleib

I love flying!
Hi David--planning my Dynon servo installation for my Sonex and found your posting--extremely helpful--a very clean installation--any chance you could provide a list of all the mounting brackets, rods, etc. that I would need to order from Dynon to replicate your installation.  Does Dynon have a 3" arm to fit the S42?  thank you--Stuart in Boston 781-985-2775

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We do have a kit in the works, but, we don't have any orderable parts that can be ordered just yet.