What’s Coming In The Next Software Update?

rvator51

I got this email from Dynon:

Coming soon to the the experimental line: SkyView v16! Here is a quick sneak peek at a few of the new features. Note that these are all in prototype phase, and are likely to evolve before release.

Features coming in SkyView v16 include:

(SkyView HDX Only) New Flight Plan Interface: This will have a common look and feel as what already exists in our Advanced AF-5000 series software. It also shares some common themes with the IFD series navigators made by our friends at Avidyne.
(SkyView HDX Only) Flight planning gains more robust vertical planning features, allowing pilots to designate crossing altitudes for waypoints. For example, with this feature you'll be able to plan more complex routes that help you avoid airspace shelves.
New ADS-B Weather Products. The FAA recently added a few new items to the ADS-B weather feed. The first and most requested one of these - lightning - will be available in v16.

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
Hope that Dynon still remembers that they used to sell two products called Classic and Touch... There are thousands out there and their owners would be happy to see new features for their systems.

swatson999

Hope that Dynon still remembers that they used to sell two products called Classic and Touch... There are thousands out there and their owners would be happy to see new features for their systems.

YES! Thank you for reminding Dynon to continue to update the somewhat older systems as they develop new features.

RVDan

I love flying!
Add me to that list. There isn't a reasonable cost upgrade path to HDX so stopping support for the old systems is not something that will make a lot of customers happy. I get that Skyview Classic is 15 year old technology in a world where 3 years is obsolete. And I understand that a product company like Dynon has to keep their eye on the future and focus their resources there. However, that means that many folks will need to update classic systems to HDX in the next 5 years, and we won't be happy doing that at full retail. Collins Aerospace has a good program. As avionics reach end of life support they provide very agressive (low) pricing for those upgrading to get old product out of circulation and keep their customer base in place, rather than having them look at the competition for more modern technology. That's what I'd like to see. Dynon has done this for the ADSB products. If there was an upgrade program like for the ADSB 470 to ADSB 472, I'd be all in.

Savannah_flyer

I love flying!
Avionics is not a mass consumer market like smartphones or tablets. It is a unique market and has to be addressed as such. We don't change our EFIS every three years. An upgrade program with really low prices would be a really really good strategy.

swatson999

Actually, I don't *want* to "upgrade" to HDX. I really don't care for the ergonomics and look of the screen, with the weird little "shelf" on the bottom. I'd prefer if they just kept the Touch and Classic systems up to date on non-UI features (like new weather products, maybe vertical nav stuff, whatever).

Should be reasonably inexpensive to do, once the algorithms are developed, if the systems were built as a proper Software Product Line (SPL).

sunfish

I love flying!
Is the HDX plug compatible with the classic? If not the rewiring would be painful.

skyview_user

I love TopMeteo
I'm more than happy with my touch. However, I miss from the beginning Vertical planning. This feature is very helpful in complicated airspaces like Europe.

timfwalsh01

Sunfish, If you are asking if the Classic wire harness is the same for the HDX, the answer is YES. I just upgraded and all syatems are GO!! Tim

gtae07

I love flying!
Actually, I don't *want* to "upgrade" to HDX. I really don't care for the ergonomics and look of the screen, with the weird little "shelf" on the bottom.
Agreed, except I'm looking at it from a new build perspective. I have some time behind my dad's Skyview classic and much prefer it to the HDX interface; I'd really rather use a Classic but it seems like new features are mostly going to be HDX only.
at least I can do all the rest of the wiring and equipment installs and just wait on the display portion, as it's going to be a year or two before I'm ready for avionics anyway...