What does a Garmin X96 add to SkyView?

pajfcorg

I have tried to research this question both in the manuals and online with no joy.

Assume for a moment you have a fully configure SkyView system including a pair of SV-GPS-250 units. Now assume you add a Garmin 696 as a GPS1 unit, what functionality have you added?

Do you see all of the information on the Garmin screen integrated in the SV-D1000 display? If it is a subset, what is added?

If you load a flight plan in the Garmin, is it accessible on the SkyView?

Does it matter which model of the Garmin X96?

What about the XM weather or TIS?

I understand that through time all or most of this will be available directly from the SkyView, but in the interim what can Garmin add to SkyView?

Thanks, Phil

jakej

Basically - no, not yet but it will happen soon I believe.

Here - http://www.dynonavionics.co/docs/news_technology_preview.html

Jake J ;)

mmarien

Murray M.
I have the GPS495 connected to both my Skyview and my iCOM radio.

For the radio, the entire Jeppesen nav com database in the GPS495 is available on the recall button on the radio.

For the Skyview it adds routing, flight plan recording, weight and balance, etc. It's a great complement to the Skyview. Grant it, none of this stuff is transferred directly to the Skyview screen, but when I activate a route on the GPS495 and it shows up on HSI, including VNAV if you turn that on in the GPS495. I believe the AP will follow this route. Another feature of the portable GPS495 is that I can take it home to do my flight planning.

Even with the features Dynon plans on adding to Skyview I have room in my panel for a future GPS370/5 as no one system has everything. I don't believe Dynon has plans for the AOPA database, highways and towns, weight and balance, check lists, etc. Skyview of course makes the graphics on the GPS495 look fairly rudimentary.