Will Skyview map show course line alternate GPS?

mikehoover

I am wondering if the Skyview map will display the course line of flight data from an alternate GPS. I have as my primary GPS0 the Skyview, GPS1 is Garmin 496. If I enter a flight in the Skyview, the magenta course line to destination appears, but when I enter a flight on the 496, then switch sources on the Skyview to the alternate 496, the new flight course line does not appear. Also, if using the alternate GPS source, will the Skyview drive my Trutrak auto pilot?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
SkyView's map only shows a magenta line based on its own navigation/flight plan. If you connect a SkyView serial output to a TruTrak, it can send ONLY this SkyView-generated GPS navigation information to your TruTrak using standard NMEA output. In other words, it looks like an external GPS to a TruTrak autopilot - same as if you hooked up say a 496 to a TruTrak

The DYNON autopilot (this isn't your question), however, will fly anything that is active the HSI (no glide slope yet though). In other words, it can aggregate in other radio/gps sources and fly any of them that you select.

dilsonfrota

Hi
I'm right now wiring my SV, GPS's and TruTrak

As I'm not sure I understood it all said in this subject., I'll try to put my doubts in this way.

May I connect to the SV for example:
Serial port 5 as GPS0 - SV-GPS-250
Serial port input 1 as GPS1 - Garmin Aera 796
Serial port input 2 as GPS2 - Garmim Aera 500
Serial port output 3 to a TruTrak autopilot

To select one of these GPS as the source for the SV flight plan.

Once I have a SV own generated navigation/flight plan; will the serial port 3 NMEA reflect the SV flight plan according the GPS I choose? Even if the Chosen GPS is SV-GPS-250?
I appreciate your help
Dilson

dabear

You can set those GPS' on serial 1, 2, and 5 (SV GPS) as inputs for the SV.

If you set up a flight plan on GPS 1 or 2, Course information will show up in the HSI wen selected (Nav Source, etc)

However, GPS 1 or 2's flight plan will NOT show up on the SV Map.

Also, I do not believe SV will pass flight plans from GPS 1 or GPS 2 out serial 3 to the TruTrak. Only flight plans generated in SV will be sent tot he TruTrak.

mikehoover

You can set those GPS' on serial 1, 2, and 5 (SV GPS) as inputs for the SV. 

If you set up a flight plan on GPS 1 or 2, Course information will show up in the HSI wen selected (Nav Source, etc)

However, GPS 1 or 2's flight plan will NOT show up on the SV Map.

Also, I do not believe SV will pass flight plans from GPS 1 or GPS 2 out serial 3 to the TruTrak.  Only flight plans generated in SV will be sent tot he TruTrak.

If this is the case, this answers my question. Thanks!

Just as a exercise to test this out, I did a direct-to to KSAV in Skyview, then did a direct-to KATL on the Garmin 496. Switched the nav source on the Skyview PDF to GPS1 (Garmin 496) and this did not change anything on the Skyview map screen - still showed course line to KSAV.

I have a GPS data source toggle switch on the panel that allows me to choose either the Skyview or the Garmin 496 to control the Trutrack autopilot. If I switch the source of GPS signal going to the Trutrack and I expect I would be navigating to KSAV with the Skyview source and KATL using the Garmin 496 source. But not if I switch the GPS source on the Skyview PDF from GPS0 (Skyview GPS) to GPS1 (Garmin 496).