Wiring up OAT probe to EDC-D10A

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
Hi - just thought I would pass on a 'gotcha'!

I was helping out a chum wiring up a 3 wire OAT probe to his D10A via the EDC remote compass.
I followed the wiring diagram in the otherwise excellent installation manual. It didn't work - it was reading 35C on a rather chilly day. Checked everything was OK - must be a duff sender. Got it changed - exactly the same!

My chum then went for a wander around the further reaches of the Dynon website and found this:
https://www.dynonavionics.com/includes/guides/EFIS-D10_OAT_Installation_Guide_Rev_8-30-2005.PDF
which he printed out and brough down the airfield.

This contradicts the wiring in the installation manual as regards the blue wire's connection!
The manual says stick it in pin 8 (which we did!).
The revision says connect it to the same pin as the ground from the D10A - i.e. pin 1 - together with the OAT wire's shield!
Did this. Now it works fine!

HOWEVER - the pdf in the link above has a (word ascribed) title of OBSOLETE - DO NOT USE! :eek:

So which is it to be?

I'm confused.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
So the document you're pointing to is for the EFIS-D10 and EDC-D10, not the EFIS-D10A and the EDC-D10A. Although very similarly named, they're different products. Now, for the EFIS-D10A / EDC-D10A - early manuals did indeed require that the ground to the common ground line on pin 1. But, somewhere along the way, we realized that pin 8 was also ground, and we hadn't documented it. So pin 8 should be a valid ground connection on the EDC-D10A connector. There's a small chance that early EDC-D10As didn't have this circuitry, but I'd have to do more research to figure that out. How new or old of an EFIS-D10A is this?

Robski

Hang on! I've got an idea!
Sorry for the delay in getting back on this.

Firstly - Oops and apologies from me and my chum for getting the 10 and 10A mixed up!  :-[

Secondly - the D10A installation in question is an older one and the EDC-D10A was bought at the same time as the EFIS-D10A.

I took a backup of the D10A before we did an update to permit my chum to install a pitch servo as his firmware was too old. This backup filename includes the element sn5893.
Does that help you pin down the age?

I will try and check for continuity between pin 8 and ground when the unit is next exposed (it hides under the canard of a Vari-eze) but as everything now works it's unlikely to be soon.