WTB: Serial to Grey code Encoder Converter

kaiserman

I am looking for a Serial to Grey code Encoder Converter to connect my Dynon D10/A to my Garmin GTX320A
Dynon had the 100362-000 but any other one brand model will suffice

Thanks

Bill Putney

If this is an experimental aircraft… The Arduino code to convert serial altimeter to Gray Code is probably trivial. I did a quick search and didn’t find a canned one though. Of course GTX327s are becoming cheap on eBay (some under $500). In the long run that might be less than the solution you come up with and it’s a much nicer transponder than the GTX320 and it can accept serial altitude.

kaiserman

Thanks for the info Bill.
Reason being is that I found a GTX320A for under $350 and I didn't wanna bother with spending more $ on the XPDR.
Dynon has the converter for $80, so no real drama. Just wanted to use a second hand one to help mitigate the waste of useful products in our community.
btw: Can you explain why GTX327 is a much nicer transponder that the GTX320A? Aren't both just mode C?

Rhino

Apparently the 327 is built much better, for one thing. Has a flight timer and altitude display the 320 doesn't.

The 320 is no longer supported by Garmin. Not sure about the 327.

The 327's also digital as opposed to rotary knobs, and apparently that's a reliability issue. It seems reliability is the most commonly referenced difference, probably due to the better build quality.

Bill Putney

It has push button code input, which is more reliable and easier to input a new code. It has a VFR button! Timers too. It has serial altitude input.

The serial to Gray Code interface Dynon had is now marked "Discontinued". Can you really buy it now? If you can, that's the way for you to go.

I know it's water under the bridge now, but if I was looking at a GTX320 for $350 and $80 for a converter, I think I'd think hard about $430 vs. $500 for the GTX327.