Yaw damper

Pegaz

I love flying!
Hi,
Is that you will develop one day a yaw damper. Some of our aircraft are sensitive and despite the autopilot should always monitor the ball. It would be probably not too complicated.

vlittle

Hi,
Is that you will develop one day a yaw damper. Some of our aircraft are sensitive and despite the autopilot should always monitor the ball. It would be probably not too complicated.

Electronically easy, mechanically complex. Attachment points, large forces and control friction conspire to make it aircraft-specific. A rudder with electric trim may be the easiest way, but adding mass to the rudder without careful analysis is risky.

I looked at this for Van's RVs, and the 'solution' involved a large horizontal bellcrank and spring attachment to the rudder cables, along with a powerful servo motor. The spring system introduces some interesting ciontrol dynamics but allows easy pilot override. Way too complicated for the benefit received for these particular aircraft.

Since there are dozens of different aircraft types, a custom engineered solution for each one is prohibitively expensive! The most common (RVs) really don't need it.

Just my experience.

Vern

Pegaz

I love flying!
I understand the difficulty of installation according to the type of aircraft . But Those who have installed a TruTrak are satisfied.

Dynon

Dynon Staff
Staff member
We didn't include it it as part of our official Oshkosh announcements because we weren't quite far enough along, but yes, we're working on a yaw damper, and the prototype in fact flew to Oshkosh in Rob Hickmand's (of our AFS division) RV-10. Right now the RV-10 is the only installation kit in development.

rocclobster

Is the yaw damper available for the RV-10 now? It's one of the reasons that stuck with Dynon products for this project when I saw that Rob had it in his RV-10 but I haven't seen an announcement of it being ready to purchase.