yellow screen of death....

sstearns2

I have an HS-34, D-180, and D-100. With them all powered (you know what's comming) I updated the D-180 and D-100 without any problem, but when I updated the HS-34 I got the yellow screen on the D-100. The HS-34 updated was sucessful, but the D-100 stuck on the yellow screen until the battery gave out. After I saw the D-100 go to the yellow screen, I vaguely remembered something about only having the unit your updating powered.

Is there any other option aside from sending it in? I haven't tried repowering it after the battery gave out.

When the update software asks you if the unit is pluged in to the serial port and powered, it should also ask if all other dynon units are NOT powered. That would really help us out.

Thanks,
Scott

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
First, you should try powering it up. There's a 95% chance that it is fine. The yellow screen doesn't mean it died, it just means it got the command to go into update mode. Unless firmware somehow got half sent to it, it didn't actually write anything.

Second, for anybody searching, you shouldn't let the battery die. The best thing to do in this case would have been to plug into the D100 and update the firmware again, to make sure that it will have a good software load. As long as you are in the yellow screen, you can put more code on the unit. Once it powers off is when you are in trouble.

There's a more serious problem here though, which is that this can only happen with a mis-wired unit. The reason you need to update the HS34 with all other units off is that it will only accept an update when it is not talking to an EFIS. There' no harm in trying- it just won't accept the firmware.

For what you describe to happen, the serial line for the HS34 must also be shared with the serial line for the D100. They should not be wired this way. Each serial port should go ONLY to the unit that it is supposed to be used to update. In a normal wiring situation, you can update with all the units on all day with no problems. The instructions to turn off other units is exclusive to updating the HS34, but isn't there to prevent harm to other units.

In any case, go power on the units. I bet the D100 is fine. After you check this, you need to check out your wiring, and find out where the D100 and HS34 are sharing wires. The only wires that hook a D100 and HS34 together should be the DSAB wires.

sstearns2

OK, I'll try powering up the D-100 tommorrow.  I tried to power it down in the yellow screen, but couldn't.  I didn't think of redoing the software update. It did have a successful firmware upload right before I got the yellow screen with the HS-34 update.

I'll have to ring out the connectors and see what's going on with the serial connection.  The DSAB wires are the only two wires that connect the HS-34 and the D-100.... or at least that's what I meant to do.   I'll look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the quick response.
Scott