Zaon traffic on SV

BBGLASAIR

I understand that Zaon traffic can be displayed on Skyview. (here in Australia we have no ADSB yet) My Glasair panel is chockers, and I'm unwilling to put the Zaon XRX on top of the coaming as I feel it will block the very traffic I am looking out for. Being a composite aircraft, I hope I can bury the XRX in the panel top, and still receive signals through the fibreglass/plexiglass.  Then I realised that I need access to the face of the XRX to use the buttons there. Is it possible to install the XRX remote from the pilot's reach, connect to Skyview, and use SV buttons?  Anybody got any ideas?   Thanks    B

mmarien

Murray M.
I asked Zaon about remotely installing the XRX and to have it come on with the aircraft power. A composite aircraft allows remote installation but they said keep it above the glare shield so the firewall and panel don't block the forward reception. I don't believe there is a way to turn it on remotely. There was no response from Zaon when I asked that question. It doesn't come on with aircraft power like the GPS495 does. It's a manual checklist step to turn it on and press the acknowledge button.

I suspect that someone will figure it out eventually and design an aircraft powered outside mounted directional antenna made to interface with an EFIS TIS style but don't hold your breath. :-/ Did I say USB. I meant to. ;)

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
We can't speak to the installation location issues, but SkyView only listens to the Zaon - it does not send anything to it. So there no way to remote command it from SkyView.

mrdaud

Brian - Take a look at the Monroy unit:

http://www.monroyaero.com/index.html

You can use their external antenna and mount the display in the panel using minimal space. Their data output is also supposed to be compatible with Dynon, but check that out carefully before buying.

Ron_B

We had our Zaon reworked at the factory and it comes on with the avionics master.
Ron

BBGLASAIR

With reference to the Monroy ATD-300+ Traffic Alert Unit.  I've been in touch with Monroy and asked if their remote antenna could be mounted on the inside of a composite fuselage. Their answer was that they themselves had done no testing, but had heard good results from others, and that it is important to have at least a one foot dia ground plane.
In addition, their ATD-300+ is compatible with ARINC 429/735 displays. This seems to me that the output from their unit is compatible with SV1000.
In my case, I have a BendixKing KT76A transponder, and ACK A-30 encoder. Do I need to install a Dynon Transponder to enable traffic depiction on my SV display?  Do I also need the ARINC interface module?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
I suspect it may only talk proprietary Garmin protocols, but I can't quickly find an installation guide to confirm that. However, if it can output traffic in serial TIS protocol (like the Zaon and Garmin's GTX330 transponder can), then it would be compatible.

jakej

I suspect it may only talk proprietary Garmin protocols, but I can't quickly find an installation guide to confirm that. However, if it can output traffic in serial TIS protocol (like the Zaon and Garmin's GTX330 transponder can), then it would be compatible.

I'll do some more research and get back to you ;)

BTW- the GTS800 system uses ARINC only

Jake J