ZAON XRX Pinout

mmarien

Murray M.
Here are the instructions from the purchased bare end cable. I connected the DATA wire to both my GPS495 and the SV.

ZAONXRX.jpg

dabear

I was at their booth at Osh. Asked them if they interfaced with the Dynon Skyview. Was told no. Checked their website and Dynon isn't listed. Very strange.

EchoCharlie1

MMarien,

Are you getting traffic on the SV and Garmin units, simultaneously? OR, since the menu selection on the Zaon supports one at a time, do you just decide from which you want to see traffic?

Although I've connected mine to the SV, it's still not showing up. I may have selected the wrong port and need to review which I chose, to match the physical with the logical.

R/
Frank

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
You should be able to see the Zaon on a Garmin and a SkyView at the same time. We use the same data format so you can split the wire and run to both devices.

Easiest way to see if you have a device wired to the right port: Turn the device on, then go into the SkyView serial port setup. Make sure something is set up in "serial in device". Look at the bottom for "RX counter." If this is ticking up, something is plugged in to that port.

Now turn the device off. If RX counter stops, that's the port it's hooked to, and if it isn't working, there is a misconfiguration somewhere.

If it isn't ticking up, try each serial port one by one.

EchoCharlie1

In order to have both the SV and Garmin (496) see traffic, would I chose the "Profile 1" as recommended by Zaon for the SV, or "Garmin"?

I'll check the RX counter, per your recommendation. I think I may just have wired to port 4 and logically selected port 3. Most likely "operator error".

mmarien

Murray M.
Yes. All as above. You can have the serial send to any number of devices, but only receive from one. Until SV has audio, you can connect your Garmin device to your audio and get audio terrain/obstacle and traffic warnings.

EchoCharlie1

Re: ZAON XRX Pinout - UPDATE (HELP!!)

Confused and discouraged...

I checked the Zaon XRX wiring to the SV. I'm using Port 3 and connected to the Green wire with Purple stripe (RX). However, when powering everything up, I see only the TX values going up when checking the status. Also, on the GPS (Map) page of the SV, I see the symbol for the TIS "FAIL".

HELP!!!

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
If you're seeing activity on the TX counter, it sounds like you don't have your serial port 3 function set to Zaon. So first, check that.

EchoCharlie1

Port 3 function definition set to Zaon XRX: Check.

Port 3 green wire with violet stripe (SV-RX) hooked to data-out from Zaon: Check

Data-out from Zaon hooked to GPS-496 (yellow wire data-in): Check

SV TIS: FAIL
GPS-496: Successful

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Do you have our transponder? If so, disable it's traffic function under the transponder setup. Additionally, there are a couple of traffic display options in the main setup menu as well. Are those set appropriately?

EchoCharlie1

Sadly, no. I bought a Becker Mode-S transponder to replace my Microair Mode-C...only to learn two months later that your transponder was available. Yeah, bummer.

Okay, so I have my GPS-496 on port 1, SL-30 NAV/COM on port 2 and the Zaon on port 3 (green wire with purple stripe). In the port setup menu, I have the Zaon selected. Only the TX counter registers, which means that for some reason, I am receiving on the TX line and not the RX line. Could the 37-pin harness have been wired incorrectly from your production line, whereas the RX/TX lines were reversed? Should I change to the green wire without the purple stripe (I think it's with an orange stripe)?

Any other place in the main menu that I should make changes? I do get the "TIS Fail" on the top-down GPS screen, but nothing on the PFD screen.

Cheers!

EchoCharlie1

BUMP to top.

Still no resolution. Changed to Serial Port 4 (blue wire with violet stripe) RX channel. Still no joy!

Garmin 496 is getting signal, SV-1000 is not.

Please assist. Taking bird for a 3000 mile trip this weekend and would have liked to have had this resolved by now.

R/

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
What are your settings under the Serial port setup? In the serial port setup menu, what do you see on all of the lines starting at "TX COUNTER" and below?

Also, do you have traffic turned on under the SETUP > TRAFFIC SETUP menu?

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
So the settings look right on the Dynon end. The TX counter being that low means that it's not seeing data, though. So I'd investigate the physical connection and whether or not the Zaon is actually outputting data or not.