2 X D10A + 1 X  GNS430 + 1 X SL30

XRAY

I have 2X D10A, 1X GNS430 and 1X SL30

One D10A is used a EFIS and the other as HSI. The primary is the HSI and it is connected to the GNS430 via the analogic output. GPS and COM/NAV are connected via DSAB.

Questions:

- Is the clock of the SL30 is synchronised with the primary?
- Is it possible to connect the GNS430 to the second D10A in order to receive informations like the wind. If it is possible, how the D10 makes the difference between same informations arriving via DSAB?
- During firmware update do we have to disconnect the GPS or is it enough to switch it off?

Manu

Re: 2 X D10A + 1 X  GNS430 + 1 X SL30

- The clock of the slave is synchronized to the master
- no, only the master must have the nav sources
- switching it off is ok

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
1) We send no information to the SL-30, we only listen to it, so we can't set its clock. I didn't even know the SL-30 had a clock. We do set the time on the EFIS units from the GPS when we can, but the Garmin 430 doesn't send out the time so we can't sync to it.

2) You should hook your GPS to one D10A and the SL-30 to the other D10A. The EFIS units will share information over DSAB. You can show winds, HSI, and other information on either screen.

3) You should disconnect the GPS during firmware updates. Some users have said it works to have it off, but this is much riskier than just having it off.

A few other issues:
We can't hook to a 430 via Analog unless you have an HS34. The only support we have for the 430 direct to an EFIS is via serial.

The units connect to one another via DSAB, but the 430 and the SL-30 must be connected via serial. They don't know about DSAB at all.

Thomas_Schaad

An idea from my side, as I do have a similar configuration:

If you don't want the HS34 you will need to install a crosspointer to display the GNS 430's NAV information. The Dynon will recieve the GNS 430's information trough the RS232 port which will provide GPS information to the HSI. This will enable you to show about all the Garmin does, except the NAV information.
So by adding a crosspointer (Mid Continent has now a very sexy 2 1/4" unit that does look great in any panel), you will have

1. The possibility to see the Garmins NAV information any time you wish
2. Fly an ILS approach and see both reciever's ILS information, the SL30 on the Dynon and the 430 on the crosspointer
3. Set a GPS course in the OBS mode on the Dynon HSI by using the crosspointer by selecting trough the Garmin

If you wish more infromation or a picture of my panel, send me an e-mail to t.schaad@diamair.ch

Kind regards

Thomas ;)

Manu

"2) You should hook your GPS to one D10A and the SL-30 to the other D10A. The EFIS units will share information over DSAB. You can show winds, HSI, and other information on either screen. "

I read on the manual that only one unit could receive the nav or gps source. So what ? How does the unit know if it must display SL 30 or GPS ? I also noticed that navsource detection was automatic. I'm a bit lost....

dynonsupport

Dynon Technical Support
Staff member
Each unit can only receive one source. Since you will have two units, the GPS can go to one and the SL-30 to the other.

Under the "HSI" menu you will have a "NAVSRC" button. You press this to switch between GPS and NAV on the HSI. The system knows to use GPS data all the time for winds, but the NAVSRC button changes what is shown on the HSI page.

I agree the manual could be clearer on all of this. It looks like we missed fully updating this section when we updated to the 4.0 firmware, so some useful information could be added.

Manu

Thanks for the very clear answer, that's exactly what I needed. Ideally : master bus is attitude with gps, and slave is hsi with SL30. On the HSI NAVSRC menu, I can choose infos from SL30 coming directly, or GPS coming from DSAB. Perfect, BUT for now, GPS info displayed on slave from DSAB is blinking, making it very uncomfortable to use !!! When is the next soft release ?